Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now I'm a SAHM 2.5 years off the job so to speak. I'm not a good SAHM, I just mean I'm not the kind who can sit down and play with the kids and do housework and love it. I am so bored, so frustrated and depressed most of the time. I'm so glad I can do this but I do wonder whether its really better for my kids since I'm not On the other hand, I don't WANT to go back to work because when I was working I felt like someone else was raising my child. So, I'm trying to determine my long term plan, kinda like a 'I only need to do this for X more years, etc' and give myself something intellectually stimulating to do.

I'm thinking my plan will be to stay at home unitl the last one (hopefully being conceived now) is old enough to go to Montessori school (age 3) and then I'll go back to work. I'm nervous about that. My degree is in Computer Science, in a highly technical field like that, I'm worried about being able to get a job after not having one for 6 years - I could be really out of date, etc. Also before I quit work, I was doing things that were more business and project managment anyway. Long story long, I'm thinking maybe I should go back to school and get my MBA, I could do it part time and be done around the time my youngest is 3 or so. Then I'd be a new MBA graduate and as such be much more marketable and likely to find a job I like close to home with the sort of hours I want.

If I do this, I'd probably start in a year - if all goes well the baby should be around 4 or 5 months old when I start school and it would only be a once a week class for 3 hours at night when DH could watch the kids. But I'd have to study and get classwork done during the day. DD would be at school part of the day, but I'd have two little ones to contend with. Has anyone BTDT? Anyone contemplating the same thing? I'm debating whether or not I'd be more crushed under the increased load or would be more invigorated by the challenge. Right now I feel like I'm being forced to stare at a blank wall all day.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I goto school
Albiet it is part-time but I do it. I figure by the time my youngest is graduated i will be done

I goto a local community college trying to get my assoctiates degree in business management. 90% of my classes are available online. And the others i usually can find a weekend or evening class. It feels so good knowing i am staying home with my kids now, and when they are grow, i can have a "career" so to speak. I did take a semester off to have my baby, and next semester starts in sept...but i am only taking one online class (hears hoping i dont drown
)

I say go for it

·
Registered
4,270 Posts
I just recently finished my degree.

I got a lot of it online. Definitely the way to go!!! It was really hard for me when I did have class.

Then again, if you don't think you'll get study time at home, in-person classes might be better.

Going to school is a much bigger PITA than I remembered. That is my main caveat.

I think it sounds like a great idea, though. I don't know if it would be the extra thing you would need to not have your skills seem outdated, though. Maybe you could attend a few IT conferences or something like that, in the meantime? Because a part of an IT org? I know you probably don't have a lot of time for that but a monthly meeting might be a way for you to prove you're staying active in your field and on top of the latest developments.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

·
Registered
6,010 Posts
I'm considering it- but only because I have a spectacular opportunity to go for free thanks to DH's job. We can both take up to 18 semester hours free every year, so I figured why not? I'm not looking to get any specific degree, i'm just doing it for fun, "intellectual stimulation", etc.. The university has good child care in case a family member wasn't able to watch my boys when I had class, and for my 1 year old I think the experience might be beneficial because I don't belong to or even know of any local play groups, and I don't have any mommy friends. He could use some social interaction. I think if you want to go back to school, go for it!!

·
Premium Member
13,072 Posts
I started back to school when ds was 1. Then I got pg with dd#2, and we moved, so I have been taking some online classes to stay busy more than anything. But I still don't know what I want to do "when I grow up". I am taking a year off due to financial aid and we will be moving, so it looks like I won't start back for another two years and then hopefully I will figure out what to do.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
I've gone to school the entire time I've been SAHMing. I was going for an MA when I had DD#1 and graduated when she was 8mos. Then I took about a year off to decide what I wanted to do and began an MLS (library) program online which I did during DS & DD#2. I took most classes online, but I did also take classes on campus. It was a life saver in many ways.

I got time out of the house and felt like I was doing something for me. DH became a more confident parent. I also realized how strong I am. I amazed many people when I went to class on Monday, had DD#2 on Tuesday, and was back in class on Monday with her in the sling! I kinda felt like Superwoman.

·
Registered
770 Posts
I just registered for a class this semester. I have gone to school before, during and after having all of my kids. For me working a few credits in is not that hard, though since having the dc I never take a bunch of credits. 13 credit hours was the most I've taken per semester since having the older kids. There are just too many unknowns with kids and life I know some mamas IRL who've taken 18 + cr hrs per semester and they got it done but it was majorly stressful. I will only be doing 4 cr hrs this semester as our little guy is still mostly bf and seriously attached to mama. I scheduled my classes for one of his 'happier' times during the day - not the fussy bedtime- night classes will have to wait. If online is an option for you that would be great. My degree path doesn't allow for online work
so I think it is going to take longer than I would like to get my final 20 credits done, but at least I'm working toward it. And yeah, I need the stimulation of adult interaction too, school always makes me a happier, more well-rounded person. Good Luck

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
I really try to make at least 3 CHs every semester, working toward my BA. I'm a junior now.

Going to school seems three times harder with a baby (or two) than without-- suddenly making it to class on time, every time isn't the easy-peasy thing it used to be, and profs give me a lot of quizzical looks about my "excuses" for being late or absent, usually because my daycare didn't have a spot that day, kid was sick, etc.

I make a lot of effort to demonstrate my seriousness as a student, even when I can't make class on time.

But it's been totally, totally worth it. I'm probably taking this fall semester off, since I could well be giving birth the day that classes start.
Though I keep eyeballing the online catalog...

But I've done exactly what vamp describes-- deliver on a Tuesday, and show back up the following week with baby in sling.
Newborns are pretty cooperative little co-students.

·
Registered
4,753 Posts
I think if you want to stay in CS and up-to-date in the field. I would get all my certifications. MCSE, CCNA, Network +, etc. This is the big thing right now. If you want to go for your MBA go for it, but right now the field seems to want experience and certs.

·
Registered
10,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Steady101
I think if you want to stay in CS and up-to-date in the field. I would get all my certifications. MCSE, CCNA, Network +, etc. This is the big thing right now. If you want to go for your MBA go for it, but right now the field seems to want experience and certs.
I have a degree in CS, and I worked as a software developer / programmer for a year and was bored with it (I can't stand being cooped up in an office all day), I moved into doing program management, basically writing specs and designs and managing the development process working with the developers and testers to make sure the right bugs are fixed and we hit our milestones. So I'm not really interested in getting more technical, I enjoyed the decision making process. Generally certifications are for those who are doing IT, not software development. I did that in college and didn't like it, I prefer the software development area.

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
I am going back to college in a week, after being out since 1989, at the age of 38.

My 2 older children are in school and it is just me and my 19 mo old. I am taking one class on Monday nights, and 3 online classes. I will do my work and studying while the baby naps, and in the evenings after everyone is in bed, as well as weekends, while DH entertains the troops. If all goes well, I will have my associate degree the Spring of 2008.

I was going to wait until the baby was in school, but decided what the heck. He is a very independent little soul (his doing, not mine), and I am not getting any younger.

I am hoping it all works out. DH is very supportive and knows he will have to pick up some slack. This will benefit him too, as he will be able to quit his very physical, laborous job, while I am the main breadwinner, and he can do his own thing, and be with our children more. It is "his turn", so to speak.

Do what you think is best.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.