Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what to do with my TV stand??

honestly, it's REALLY nice. it belonged to my uncle before he passed away. it's the kind the TV sits on top of, with a cabinet underneath with two doors. it's this beautiful dark finish that I love... sortof like this, but darker and much nicer.

any ideas what else i can use this thing for?? possibly for the kids in some way? something that can be the centerpiece of the living room when the tv is long gone?

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow! A fish tank! I hadn't even thought of that... and I could put all the food and supplies behind the doors with a child lock on the handles... hmmmm...

what a good idea!

Keep em coming though!

·
Registered
4,531 Posts
This reminds me of a joke my sister told me from Friends, one of the characters said, "You don't have a TV. What's all your furniture pointed at?!" OH, I love that!

Anyway, that cabinet sounds wonderful, particularly with its history, and could be a stereo stand where board games and/or crafts are stored. Now you say that you could lock it, which makes me think of a liqueur cabinet, although I don't know why those have locks on them other than to avoid poisoning a small child, which I guess would be possible with some of the sweet liqueurs one might want to store. Still, I like the idea of putting games and puzzles in there.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We used to keep the TV on top and the stereo/video equiptment behind the doors. I only locked the cabinet when our vcr suddenly found itself full of clothespins and pizza.

I would lock it if we had fish food in there. I would NOT lock it if it was full of games or other good stuff.

OOh... I like the idea of a stereo stand too... I could keep my music stashed in the cabinet... hmmm!

·
Registered
10,284 Posts
It looks like the type of furniture which would be fine but by itself with a lamp on top and use it to put whatever you want inside. It doesn't scream 'tv stand'. I love the idea of using furniture like that for kids toys because then they are stored out of sight when you want the room to be more grown up, but they are still right there. It would look odd if all your furniture is pointed at it though.

You could also use it as a nightstand or microwave stand in the kitchen. A printer stand for next to your computer... I love the fishtank idea.

We limit the amount of tv DD watches, but I don't think we could ever actually get rid of it completely. I did manage to leave behind our widescreen 57" tv - gave it to my parents because it didn't fit in our new house.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
I love the fish tank idea.

If you didn't do the fish tank idea could it be a toy area. Putting toys inside, games, things that
haven't found a place yet. Then get two square baskets that are lined with pretty fabric for the top for
other items. Or a art center putting all the art supplies inside. Baskets on top could hold art projects
not done.

If your thinking of more children it could be used as a diaper changer. Put on of those thick pads on
top and store all your CD inside. (Although I never understood a diaper changer. I had one, never got
used, I always used the floor and bed).

Or you could build a simple puppet stage for on top. If you made room for kids in back. Store the
puppets inside the bottom, and instead of tv you could have puppet night. We do this with a sheet
and two chairs in our house. My dd would be excited if she had her own place all about her puppets.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
That is a perfect place for an aquarium!

A good one with lots of fish, colourful plants and lid with a light. The cabinet will hold/hide the food, cleaners, net, pump, etc.

It makes a nice focal point, lights-up, has moving objects and can entertain small children.... without numbing the brain.

Congratulations!

Trin.

Edited to add: MUST start reading other responses before posting thinking I've got a new idea.....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.