Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I looked at a third floor apartment that we are considering moving into. we are currently living in a kind of depressing basement apartment and really want to move and there is not a ton available right now in our town. So this apartment is pretty good in many ways but there are many aspects that worry me about living on a third floor apartment with a curious and climbing 15 month old!

It is the third floor of a renovated old victorian huose. The main issue is the windows! Most of them go down to almost the floor. Ds likes to climb up to them and to bang on them! I don't want to move to a place where I will have to constantly watch him and can never be comfortable with him being unsupervised even for a second! So I know there are window guards- I looked on amazon and saw both the mesh type and bar type.

Does anyone have experinece with these? Are they really safe? which kind is safest?

there is also this crazy dangerous staircase situation! It is difficult to describe but there is a two level staircase that leads up to the apartment. In addition to the regular opening at the top, the rest of it is closed off by only a waist high or so boundary. So if ds were to climb it, which he would try to do, if he were to fall it would be a straight drop down- like in the space between the staircase. so if he fell over that little waist high partition it wouldn't be falling down the stairs but rather falling straight down a long way between the staircase. Hard to explain but scary as heck for me!! And that is in kind of the main liivng space. So I would want to install something major there to block it off- something actually like a full set of doors really., of course ds is also obsessed with opening and closing doors right now so it wouldhave to be a gate in front of doors or something!

so any tips on that?

I just don't know if it is even worth it to move there because of those safety things. Also, there is a pretty nice big deck out back of it- also at third floor height level. there is railing all around it but it is slats with spaces and a big space underneath. Not big enough for a child or baby to fall through but big enough for me to be concerned and to want to babyproof (toddler proof) it somehow.

Does this whole thing sound too dangerous to even bother? Or do you think w- proper care it can be made safe? Does anyone here livei n a similar type upper floor apartment with a toddler- and do you feel safe? It will be a big investment to commit to a year there so I want to make sure I feel safe there. I really don't like where we are now and have been trying for a while to find somewhere better- but I never want to do anything that would be dangerous to my child obviously. so we could totally stick it out here longer- while we look for something else- advice?

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
I live in NYC, so 99% of us are on upper floors with kids. Window guards (bars, drilled in, can get white ones so it isn't so obvious) are non-negotiable. Then you need to put some kind of stop (they sell them, easy to install) so that the windows can't open up wider than where the bars are. You'd need to make sure the landlord was ok with that drilling. The no-drill guards are not as safe. Some areas require landlords to install them if a child lives there (such as nyc).

For the balcony, I would install trellis to cover every part of the railing so that there is no gap. We did that and it looks great.

The stairs sound awful, I would gate them off 100% if that's possible.

It's very doable. I've never lived on the ground floor since moving here 13 years ago and child-proofing that way is just normal.

·
Premium Member
4,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the reply! Is it possible that you can link me to any of those things you are talking about- such as the types of window guards, the window stop and the mesh? Or any names of them that I could look up? I googled window guards and it led me to amazon but I am unsure of what ones are the safest and what aren't

the staircase IS awful!!! may be a dealbreaker there- I would have to talk to the landlord abuot what I can do

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.