Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any thoughts, advice, tips? Is it worth it?

TIA
Rigama

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
I PMed you. What do you want to know?

Number 1 on the list is to make sure that you get excellent training. That will make or break you.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I don't know anything about it, but I've oftened thought about. If you don't mind, if you decide to do, please let me know how it works out. I would LOVE to be able to earn some extra cash playing with cooking stuff.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Loved it!! I sold PC for about a year and a half. I really tried to work my business and signed a director's agreement just 12 months after I started selling. BIG thing - make sure you are on a motivated team. My director just treated it as a hobby and I felt like when my motivation needed help or I needed support with a problem she wasn't willing to support me. And secondly - make sure you work your business to the level you are comfortable with. I went out like gangbusters and tried to make enough $$ to offset the $$ I gave up staying home instead of my previous job. I did it but spent many nights away from home & a lot of time working during the day. It just got too much (which I know sounds like a weird complaint but I've heard it from other MLM consultants too so I don't think it's just me) Sometimes it's hard to turn down incentives. It was my experience that by following their training and being involved the company gives you all you need to be successful.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
The products are popular and the company has a good reputation. My sister did PC for several years in 2 states and did pretty well. I'm not really a "host a party" type person, but Pampered Chef is one of the few I would actually consider.

·
Registered
6,061 Posts
My SIL just started selling this about 6 months ago and I think she has still invested more money than she got back. Not saying it will happen to you but just you get what you put into it.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all.

Tomorrow I'm meeting the woman who presented at the party I went to yesterday, and I want to have a whole list of questions ready for her. I'm pretty broke right now and I don't even really want to consider this if it A) isn't proportionally cost effective (Meaning she makes more than I do on my sales) or B) if start up costs are huge.

Would you all be willing to help me make up a list of questions? Here's what I have so far...

*How much is start up?
*What percentage of my sales do I bring home?
*How would I be trained?
*What kind of support is offered?
*Is there a quota?
*Do I need to purchase a specified amount worth of product monthly/quarterly?
*How are the profits from my sales distributed?
*How do you move up in the company?
*What kind of things can I write off on my taxes?

I imagine I have more if I think about it, but ds is yanking on my arm! Is there anything you guys think I should add to this list?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
ive actually been thinking about it too, if you dont mind, can you post the answers you get to those questions?

·
Registered
889 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rigama
Thank you all.

Tomorrow I'm meeting the woman who presented at the party I went to yesterday, and I want to have a whole list of questions ready for her. I'm pretty broke right now and I don't even really want to consider this if it A) isn't proportionally cost effective (Meaning she makes more than I do on my sales) or B) if start up costs are huge.

Would you all be willing to help me make up a list of questions? Here's what I have so far...

*How much is start up?
*How would I be trained?
*Is there a quota?

I imagine I have more if I think about it, but ds is yanking on my arm! Is there anything you guys think I should add to this list?

Thanks!
I sold for about 18 months and became a Director after about 12 months as well. It was a GREAT time in my life. BUT...it was before I had DD. As a consultant, I did 1-2 shows a week and made $500-800 a month consistantly. An average show (when I was in) would have about $500 in sales and I made 20%, so $100 a show. When I became a Director, I was making at least $1000 a month doing the same number of shows. I had about 15 consultants on my team.

Pampered Chef is the only business I would ever consider again. It has very low start up costs...around $90 for a huge starter kit. I can try to answer your questions based on when I was in, but it may have changed since then. A lot of info can be found here: http://www.pamperedchef.com/join_us/opp_a.html
The thing I liked the best is that I never felt like I was selling it. I just went over to people's houses, had a party, cooked them some food, and if they liked the tools, they bought them.

*How much is start up?
$90 for $350 value...with a committment to do 6 shows. After 6 shows, if you don't like it, you can keep it all. You will absolutely make your initial investment back in 1 show...maybe 2.

20% as a consultant...goes up when you move up in the "ranks"

*How would I be trained?
You will have a Director and a "Cluster"...you will have initial training, and then you will have monthly Cluster meetings. These meetings were soooo much fun. So many fun people. You can also go and observe several shows for training.

Like I said, your Director will be a big support...if she is good. If not, find a different one. Your sponsor consultant may or may not be your Director.

*Is there a quota?
To stay "active", I think it's $250 every 2 months. It may have changed, but this is insanely low. You can do that with a catalog show without even leaving your house.

NO. This was huge for me. I EARNED all of my product. I didn't buy anything beyond my start up kit. I hit every bonus and pretty soon, my kitchen was full of literally hundreds and hundreds of dollars of awesome kitchen stuff.

You will make 20% on your sales. Your upper directors will also make money on your sales, but it doesn't take away for your profits.

You recruit people. With 2 consultants under you, you become a Future Director, 5 people and you are a Director, and so on. The way to make lots of money is to recruit. This was BY FAR my favorite part of doing PC. I loved it so much that I just couldn't help but sign other people up...they just heard how awesome it was and they wanted to do it too!

Everything business related. Mileage, office supplies, home office, utilities for home office...heck, I knew someone who wrote off clothing she bought for going to conferences, etc...

I attended the Leadership Conference in San Antonio and also the National Convention in Chicago. I had most of my close friends on my team, so we had an AMAZING time. It was so much fun. We still talk about it to this day!

I also earned a trip to San Diego, but ended up getting out before I "claimed" it. They really do treat their people sooooo good.

A few things to consider:
*Like the PP said, you do need to approach it as a JOB and go after it. It is your own business...you have to be very self-motivated. There is phone-calling, mailing, computer work, paperwork, etc. involved. You can make it whatever you want though. If you want it to be a 40 hour a week job, you can, and you'll make tons of money. If you just want a 20 hours a week job, it can be that too.
*The recipes are not healthy. Being a health nut
, I tried to find the recipes that did not involve bread in a tube or cream cheese, but it's hard!

*On the nights you have shows, you will probably be gone from about 6:00 - 10:00 p.m. You can do day shows or Sat. morning shows as well.

Hope this helps...it's not for everyone, but it was great for me. Feel free to PM me with any other questions.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
I just went to a party yesterday. I've known the consultant for awhile. She has been VERY successful and does it fulltime. It's her only source of income and she lives off of it. THe one caveat I give to moms is that you will need to get out of the house to do parties. And it takes awhile to build momentum. Once you do, though, it snowballs. Anyhow, you will need childcare. This woman has no children, so it's not an issue.

I love the stuff, love hosting, love the parties!

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ummm...Yitlan, were we at the same party yesterday?
I'm also in NM

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rigama
Ummm...Yitlan, were we at the same party yesterday?
I'm also in NM
Maybe....up in the heights? I have two daughters and was pretty "blah" b/c I'm pregnant and nauseas. You can see me via my blog below....

That would be so funny! If we were both there (lots of kids out back, right?), your potential sponsor is really a good one. Your success is her success, and she will do what she can to help you succeed. As you saw, she had a new recruit with her learning the ropes. And she REALLY knows PC!

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mothership, right? Ha! That's pretty darn funny. I was wearing blue and was at the Pampered Chef virgin. I'm meeting with her H tomorrow morning. Thanks for all the tips and advice!

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Yes, Mothership! That's me! H is great. She has lots of ideas and has been the most successful person in direct sales I know IRL. One other thing, this may have changed, but you used to not be able to advertise online, which is hard for me b/c I'm online a lot!

I agree about the recipes. I don't use refrigerated bread dough or a lot of the premade stuff, but PC is all about making things easy in the kitchen. BUT when I host, I choose recipes and themes that can be adapted. Yesterday's hostess and I follow nutrition as outlined by http://www.westonaprice.org (also see Traditional Diets under Nutrition here on MDC). Not mainstream at all. But things can be adapted!

And I also agree that if you want to see true success, you must work it! Direct Sales, I always say, has a snowball effect. Once you get that ball rolling by getting people to book and expand beyond your circle of friends and family, you can really take off. BUt if you want financial success, you must work for it.

Finally, I've learned a lot from watching H do her shows. She does really well and, what I think is very important, she stays focused. It's so easy to let the party get away from you (I know from experience as a consultant), esp. with kids around. She always brings it right back to finish up and get us eating quickly! This was brought home to me last month when I went to a party with another consultant and people were bored before she was done. Tell H I said Hi!

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you all for being here for me right now!

My dh is extremely resisant to this idea. He seems to feel like there's just not enough people out there who would buy this stuff. Most of our friends are pretty darn poor as well, and we don't have family in town, so he sees that as a negative. I tried to explain to him that I just basically need enough people to do a couple of shows and from there others will want to host so they'll invite their friends and so on down the line. He thinks it's a neat theory but that it can't possibly work. So, I guess this is a long winded way of asking if you all have any ideas about what I can say to him that may calm his fears a bit?

Also, to those of you who used to do it but no longer do, why did you stop?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
First, your sponsor will have a ton of ideas. Second, no business would succeed if everyone thought they would only sell to their rich friends. Sure, you can start there. Believe me, H, your potential sponsor, started with her friends, but grew from that. Also, I can tell you from experience that people DO buy PC stuff. We all have kitchens and many of us "poor" folks save money buy cooking our own food. Tools to help us in the kitchen are investments. I also know from experience that people repeat hostess for PC, unlike many other companies. I have hosted several times and I am usually reluctant.

As to the snowball being a neat theory, I have seen it work in my own business. Women do well in direct marketing and direct marketing works with women b/c we talk to each other. I told you why I like a product and you listened b/c you know I'm like you: I have kids and am in my kitchen a lot. I used to sell Body Shop at Home products and did well. I started with my friends and before long I was doing parties in other parts of town for people I didn't know that well. It really did balloon.

Now, with selling parenting products and cloth diapers, it's a little different. Obviously, my mom doesn't need that stuff. So I work a little differently and advertise differently. But with kitchen products, there's a very broad appeal.

Don't know if any of this will work with your dh. Maybe you could set a maximum investment. Until you make that back, no additional spending? You could borrow any tools you don't have from H for shows. You could ask your first hostesses to supply the ingredients for you. When H first started her hostesses supplied ingredients.

He does have to understand that it is a snowball. I know I'm beating that analogy into the ground. It can be slow at first, as you figure out how it all works, sort through paperwork, learn the best ways to pack and clean, polish your presentation. But it CAN take off!

Finally, view yourself as offering a service. You can help women earn their products for FREE. That's why I host. I get so much for free. And that's why I am with my company: I can help families get their diapers and other items free and cheap! It's valuable and worth considering.

HTH!

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I met with my potential sponsor today, and I have to say, it seems like a great thing. I really like cooking and gadgets to begin with, but it all sounds so risk free and fun. I'm definately interested in doing this, but I just need to convince dh that this can be profitable. I'm not sure why he's so antagonistic about this. He told me to go ahead and "do what you need to do" but it wasn't exactly support, it was more like he was saying "Fine. I'm not gonna win so just do it." Maybe I should!

Anyway, thanks for all the info you guys have given me!
Rigama

·
Registered
889 Posts
There is NO WAY it can't be profitable...because even if you only do 6 shows, you come away with hundreds of dollars of free kitchen tools.

Don't worry about poor friends. All of my friends were broke...so I just had parties with their rich neighbors, aunts, uncles, brides, etc.
I did lots of parties with college students...and they are the poorest of poor. PC makes gadgets for every price range. Your DH probably won't "get it" until he sees the money rollin' in. Men are very visual that way...show him the MONEY

You can do it!

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Sounds like when you both are in good moods, you'll need to say something like "I would really like to do this, but I'd really like your support. I will need you now and again to watch the kids and be understanding and I'll feel so much better if we start out on this together." It helps SO MUCH to have a supportive spouse. It's possible to do it without the support, but much nicer with.

Also, talk to G, the hostess. She used to be a consultant but isn't any more. SHe might give you a different perspective.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
I am an 'inactive' consultant because of my pregnancy. That means that I don't get the monthly company newsletter and have lost my cumulative sales up until the point that I went inactive. Not a big deal for me. All it would take for me to become active again (or to have stayed active) is $200 in sales in a two month period. Really, really easy to do, but not a priority for me when I'm pregnant, moving, and lambing.

I've been a consultant and/or future director for a few years, and that was in an area that was saturated with consultants. One of the great things about PC is that even in a 'saturated' area, there's still TONS of business. 99% of PC customers aren't locked into a specific consultant as with other businesses (Mary Kay), so you can get someone at your show who was at another consultant's show a month before-and she'll buy from both of you!

About your husband's concerns...

-There's no way you won't make your money back if you hold the minimum required shows. At the minimum $150 show, for 6 shows, you'll make $180 back. You'll only have put $90 in, and you'll have gotten LOTS of tools for free.

-If you do well or really well at your shows, you'll earn TONS of free tools through the Super Starter program-I earned over $700 of tools in my first few months. Very exciting.

-These products sell themselves. It's not like other products where you have to sell people on why they need the tools. You get up, demonstrate the tools by preparing a recipe and let the tools do the talking. One trick I learned at one of my earliest shows (this is wonderful for a newbie) is to hold up a tool and say "Who has this and loves it?" You'll get at least one hand-probably five-shooting up. Pick one lady and ask her to tell why she loves it. Then move to the next lady, etc until you start using a new tool. Then rinse and repeat. What you're doing is having these ladies friends and acquaintances-people they know and trust-sell the products for you. Hardly any other products that you can do that with.

-EVERYBODY EATS. Therefore everybody cooks-unless you live in a really swanky neighborhood-and even then, they'd buy the tools for their cooks. Seriously, this is a major plus. With makeup, only women who wear makeup are interested. With candles or baskets, the window shrinks smaller. With NBB (which I'd LOVE to do), you're selling to mothers who are interested in AP. With Pampered Chef, you're selling to everybody. I've done kids shows, church groups, fundraisers, couples shows, shows hosted by guys (they LOVE the cookware), and one show where the women, sick of their husbands complaints about spending so much on cookware, brought all their husbands in and then took off in the cars-neither their husbands nor I knew they were going to do that. After an uncomfortable start, that was one of my highest grossing shows. Men love quality with a killer warranty.

-Bookings. Every consultants biggest fear. You'll probably have friends/family do your first few shows. Your goal is to get 2 bookings from every show-one to replace the show, one to grow on-until your show schedule is where you want it. It's usual to get at least one booking per show. The biggest pitfall most consultants fall into is not contacting the leads fast enough. Call the day after the show. No later. Otherwise you lose the excitement that had them interested in booking. Also, your recruiter will probably tell you to make a "List of 100". DO THIS. Very important not only for booking leads, but to give you confidence that you do know more people than you think. #87 on my list was "Woman with black hair that I'm always chatting with at the library". She held a show for me when I needed one after 9 months of consulting.

Hope that's not too much info!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.