Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey ladies,

my son is now 2 years old, and lately i've been feeling totally fantastic. I've been seeing a naturopath for acupuncture and supplements, and sloooowly weaning off the zoloft that saved my life after my baby was born. doing so well in fact, that i am seriously starting to consider having that second baby that was always part of the plan, but seemed impossible for so long.

i just feel like there are people in my life (mom namely) who say things like "maybe you shouldn't have any more, since it was so hard for you with the first" and so on... it really feeds into my depressive tendencies. i start imagining that if i got pregnant, people would really question me. i start thinking how can i put my family through this again? i think i have no business taking on another child.

i guess i'm just looking for some words of support here. especially from you mamas who have recovered and gone on to have more children.

-l

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
I recovered and had another baby, and then had PPD with the second, also. The best piece of advice I can give is to make sure you have a WONDERFUL therapist going in to the second pregnancy, make sure you are medicated, or at least have the meds ready, and make sure you have a really great support system around you.

You have been down this road before so the good news is you know how to recognize the symptoms early and you know how to treat it. The bad news is, you may get PPD again, in fact you are much more likely to get it again. But you have done this before, and you made it through, and you are better equip[ped to get through it this time. You can do it!

Just do not be opposed to medication IF you need it the second time. I stayed on zoloft throughout pregnancy #2 and till 6 months PP. I then needed it again about a year PP for a couple of months. But I am off it now and taking supplements to stay well. It can be done!

·
Registered
927 Posts
I also have a 2 year old, well he'll be 2 in 4 days, close enough. I had bad PPD with him after his birth, but never took any meds. My DH and I are currently TTCing and I feel so wonderful about it. I know the possability of having PPD again, but that doesn't make me feel scared anymore. I've had it, I've delt with it, and I know me. I know I can get through it again, and this time I won't do it so alone. I've looked into eating my placenta after this next birth to help.

·
Registered
6,009 Posts
I had terrible PPD/OCD after DD was born. It's taken me five years to decide to have another one, but we're finally at the point where I feel like it's all going to be okay.

I can't take antidepressants, as the SSRI's give me terrible anxiety and actually make my intrusive thoughts problems much worse and tricyclics make me so tired I fall asleep standing up (literally) no matter how long I give my body to adjust to them. MAOI's I just won't do (food is very important to me and cutting out so much would make me miserable, lol). So I had to get through my problem with therapy and TIME. I made it, though, and the fear has subsided over the years. I was actually over the PPD/OCD by probably 2 years, but the fear of it happening again was incredibly strong until very, very recently.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts