Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had four hospital births, the first a medicated birth, the 2nd and 3rd unmedicated, the 4th a "forced" c/s. I then researched homebirth and has two wonderful homebirths with MW's.
I am now pregnant with #7 and considering UC. My reasons are that I pretty much labored all the way to complete before even calling the MW's, they really just showed up to "catch, clean and fill out paperwork. I love my MW's, they are great ladies, but I feel like I am paying for birth observers.
I am pretty confident I could do this myself.
I only have a few concerns. One is the BC paperwork, not sure how I register the birth for the BC. Another would be meconium being in the fluid at delivery. My last dd had meconium in the fluid. If it happened again I'm not sure if I'd be able to clean him/her out enough. One other would be I bleed a lot after birth, with my first dd I almost passed out and the MW's were concerned about hemmorage. With my 2nd dd I took a Vit K tincture from 36 weeks and didn't have that problem.

What supplies above and beyond regular HB supplies would I need on hand?
I have looked for books on UC at the library, but they don't have any. I am going to check out the resources sticky on this forum.

I have only mentioned this to one friend and she thinks I am being selfish.

What am I not considering here? What are the pros/cons to UC? What would be reasons a woman wouldn't be a good canidate for UC?

I have very uneventful pregnancies, no problems...pretty darn boring, really.

WDYT?

~Jen
Momma to 6, baby #7 edd 8/20

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't want anyone to decide for me, I am just looking for advice from a woman who has BTDT. If maybe there is something I am not thinking of. I was just looking for pros/cons from a UC momma.
I don't "officially" have a MW yet for this pregnancy.

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
Hi, UrbanMomma.

You mentioned your mw's in your first post. That was what I was talking about if you wanted help pp with the paperwork, ect...

It is just such a personal choice, I am really reluctant to ever tell someone they should or shouldn't or you know, kind of push them in any direction.

I had the personal experience of intuitively knowing all that would happen at my birth and planning accordingly. I can't say every woman will or can have that experience at every one of her births, though I believe it is ideal. So it's hard for me to say what type of woman is a good candidate for a UC or not. A woman might be the worst textbook case for a UC but feel compelled to go that route for whatever reason that is all her own, even if it's just that intuitive inkling, and things turn out great, and then vice versa. It really is, IMO, something that you can only know for yourself.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I appreciate the response. I haven't officially signed back on with my previous MW's as of yet. They were at my dd's HB's, so I just "claim" them LOL!!
My instincts tell me I can do this no problem. I hardly needed the MW's at my previous HB's, they were there more for the comfort of others (mom and baby daddy) who are nervous about UC.
I trust my body to get the baby here, like I said though, my only concerns would be the meconium and the bleeding.
I guess I am looking for advice as how to handle those things and what all I would need to be totally prepared for the delivery.

·
Premium Member
2,670 Posts
I am not in the business of selling UC because I think it is so personal but I can answer your questions. About the BC, it really depends on the place you live, sometimes it is easy and sometimes not so much. The best way to find out is to call the Vital Statistics office in your area and ask about unattended births and how they get registered.
As for hemorrage there are many different herbal tinctures that work well for different kinds of hemorrhages. Eating a small piece of placenta seems to be the most effective way to stop a hemorrhage in its tracks.
As for meconium I used to work in a NICU and the babies that got deeply suctioned seemed to have the most trouble. I always felt instinctively that taking the mec and pushing it down the airway with a suction tube isn't a good idea. I would use gravity and positioning to clear out any mec that was in my baby's mouth. I felt I needed less supplies with my UC than with my homebirth with midwives. I barely used anything at all for my UC. I would say after that many births you of all people have a good idea if you can UC or not. Trust your intincts and listen to your heart and you will find the best birthing options for yourself.

Wendi

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.