Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI! I'm new to the group. I'm approximately 9 weeks and I want to make sure I do this safely and I don't freak my husband out. I'd love to hear some experience talking.

I do have a story. I'm 45. This will be my fourth child. My older children are 20, 21 and 22 years old. Yes, this baby is a miracle/surprise and I can't wait to meet him/her. One of my previous childbirth experiences was awful, complicated by unecessary medical intervention and some inappropriate stuff that happened against my will, so traumatic that I suffer PTSD that has worsened over time. I can't imagine going to a hospital to do it this time unless it's an emergency. We live 45 minutes away from the hospital.

Being 45, having high blood pressure (measured at the doc office and probably high because of my extreme anxiety about medical facilities), I'm considered high risk. At home, surrounded by peace and support, my pressures are within normal range but of course, those aren't part of the official medical record.

I'm imagining this peaceful event with my husband and I together bringing a new life into the world. No audience, no one pushing meds and fluids, no one demanding I lay down and be strapped to a monitor. No strange people touching me. I know it sounds like a dream, I had it two weeks ago and again last night, and I'm holding on to it with all my might.

Does anyone have experience with "high risk pregnancy" or Advanced Maternal Age and unassisted childbirth? I really want to make this happen. I think it'll be a great experience for all involved,and may even help me heal emotionally from the PTSD.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I do not have any experience but will homebirth midwives not take you as a client because you are high risk? It sounds like you are in rural area so may not have lots of options. You have quite a way to go so plenty of time to weigh all your options. My late grandmother had 4 children at home unassisted in the 1960's. She had had several children prior and knew her body and I think that is key in childbirth.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hi! I have had three unassisted births after two birth center births and I can tell you that your dream scenario is possible. That is exactly how it was for my husband and me and it is amazing. In considering the question of risk, here is a podcast you might find helpful. https://indiebirth.org/high-risk-homebirth/ The Indie Birth Association was incredibly empowering and helpful to us when we first decided to have an unassisted birth with our 3rd.

·
Registered
2 Posts
HI! I'm new to the group. I'm approximately 9 weeks and I want to make sure I do this safely and I don't freak my husband out. I'd love to hear some experience talking.

I do have a story. I'm 45. This will be my fourth child. My older children are 20, 21 and 22 years old. Yes, this baby is a miracle/surprise and I can't wait to meet him/her. One of my previous childbirth experiences was awful, complicated by unecessary medical intervention and some inappropriate stuff that happened against my will, so traumatic that I suffer PTSD that has worsened over time. I can't imagine going to a hospital to do it this time unless it's an emergency. We live 45 minutes away from the hospital.

Being 45, having high blood pressure (measured at the doc office and probably high because of my extreme anxiety about medical facilities), I'm considered high risk. At home, surrounded by peace and support, my pressures are within normal range but of course, those aren't part of the official medical record.

I'm imagining this peaceful event with my husband and I together bringing a new life into the world. No audience, no one pushing meds and fluids, no one demanding I lay down and be strapped to a monitor. No strange people touching me. I know it sounds like a dream, I had it two weeks ago and again last night, and I'm holding on to it with all my might.

Does anyone have experience with "high risk pregnancy" or Advanced Maternal Age and unassisted childbirth? I really want to make this happen. I think it'll be a great experience for all involved,and may even help me heal emotionally from the PTSD.
Hello macniki,
With my last child at age 43, I had all three of those situations... "high-risk pregnancy", Advanced Maternal Age and unassisted childbirth. It was a wonderful birth. I would love to share my story with you. Would you like me to send it to you?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the support and replies. Sadly, we lost our baby at 12 weeks. No real explanation, although there were several risky (but necessary) meds and other factors that could have contributed. We weren't trying to conceive, we used contraceptives every time. Apparently we were the 6%. Gonna leave it up to God whether it happens again. 😕

1 - 7 of 7 Posts