Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2.5 year old has had his world turned upside down (new baby) and has recently started screaming and whining a lot. For example since he is back in diapers now, I have to change his diaper a few times a day. I tell him when he is finished doing what he's doing to please come and get his diaper changed, and I wait for him to come - usually just a couple minutes, but he has started this screaming thing where he just screams. He screams all the way up the stairs and comes right up to me and continues screaming. I just ignore it.
His whining is unbearable. I've told him "this is not the whining room....if you want to whine you can go into another room." I've told him "I don't listen to your whiney voice but I do listen to your nice voice." and I also ignore it. Nothing seems to work. How long does it take a child a get the message that this form of communication is undesirable? It's been about 3 months that he has been doing this.

·
Registered
36 Posts
My daughter also screams and whines a lot but she has had speech problems and it used to be her way of communicating. Now her speech is improving but she still screams sometimes to get attention instead of speaking properly.

·
Registered
6,364 Posts
Hmmm...interesting thread. ds is 18 months and also has speech delays. *But* in addition, we have a new baby in the house too!

Yes, the screaming and whining *all the time* is driving me nuts too. I am interested in seeing what others might say, as I haven't figured it out...

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmmmm....my ds is more advanced in his speech than any other 2.5 year old I know. I have noticed he has hard time articulating his needs and just ends up saying, "I need something. I don't know what I need." But he definately has no speech delays and he is a very effective communicator when he wants to be.

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
could you try to help him figure out what he needs? "do you think you need a drink? do you think your need a hug? do you think you need a diaper? do you think your need a nap?" etc...

perhaps he's emotionally off wth the new baby around and forgetting how to think his thoughts thru. just b/c he can talk well doesn't mean he always know what to say you know what I mean?

also is he overtired? does the new baby keep him awake or anything? b/c tired toddlers are screaming toddlers!

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Same situation here. DS#1 has also started stuttering and has definitely regressed in his language skills. He used to speak so clearly, much more than most of the little boys his age or older, now it's hard to understand him much of the time. And the whining and screaming is about to send me through the roof sometimes, esp. when DS#2 is also in full on wail (he has reflux so he has a really good reason for being upset). I'm just trying to remember that his little world has been turned upside down and at some point this will pass, hopefully sooner than later. I don't really have any suggestions because I haven't found anything that helps cut down on the whining (my dh will sometimes bribe him with candy but I don't consider that beneficial for anyone). Just wanted to commiserate.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts