Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My DD is 5 now and for the past year and a half since we moved from Taos, NM to Louisville, KY, she has had almost constant snot. I took her off dairy for a while and it seemed to help a lot, but her dad just WILL NOT keep it up and also won't keep his mom from feeding her (and her brother) junk. He and I are not together and he does not respect my theories about her possible (probable) allergies. She ate dairy fine before we moved here; I only gave her organic plain yogurt and raw milk goat cheese and she never had issues. I find it strange that she is so snotty here. But then again, the pollution factor in Louisville is HUGE compared to Taos and that may have a lot to do with it. I just don't know what to do for her. If I can't get her dad to comply with a diet(and/or a move) to help her, she will never get better. His theory is that her body will adjust after living here for awhile longer. UGH!!! Does anyone have any ideas/recommendations? TIA!!!

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Can you get her dad to agree to a 3-week trial off dairy? 3 weeks is usually enough to see effects. Then promise that if he sees no difference, you'll back down on that one. Tell him if he won't do it you'll just keep on at him until he does

Two other things occur to me:
(1) while my climate geography is horrible I'm assuming you've moved from a dry climate to a more humid one. Could she be reacting to mold or different pollens?
(2) since you're in a different home, could it be something in the house? (including mold, chemicals in carpets or paint etc.)

·
Registered
208 Posts
Jen,

When I weaned dd at 36 months, she began to have the same symptoms. It was in the winter and she seemed to have a constant upper respiratory/runny nose/coughing thing that would never go away. Her doctor checked her and said her passages were irritated but she didn't have any buildup in her lungs, etc. Twice she saw the doctors that year and they determined she had an allergy. It dawned on me that it began when I weaned and she had been eating a lot of cheese and lots of ice cream, etc. We took her off all dairy and within days she was a new person! Dr. then suggested raw goat's milk cheese and plain yogurt which she tolerated.

I researched and found a source of raw milk nearby and she was able to take that fine as well. Now I make my own yogurt and she is mostly off pasteurized/homogenized dairy. I notice when she does have some the congestion begins. It seems to take a buildup and takes a couple of days to clear.

Can you find more sources of raw milk and/or goat's milk? If you had that there would dh stick to it? Does he need to be educated on the problems with dairy? See Weston Price's site westonaprice.org and the campaign for real milk for info on why today's cow's milk isn't tolerated.

You can be strict with the dairy and still allow some other 'junk' in the diet to see if this is the problem. It may take time for dh and his mom to come around to a completely healthy diet but if you can convince them of the benefits of eliminating an irritant they may 'get it'!

I've found even eliminating most of the dairy has a corresponding benefit.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Good luck! if he isn't willing to do the trial, perhaps take her to the doctor to get something "official". Sometimes, this is the only way people will take you seriously, unfortunately.

I also was thinking of the climate changes when I first started reading your post. I know everytime I go somewhere with a different climate, I have all kinds of problems, and it takes me a little while before I'm okay again. I hope you're able to figure it out!

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Welcome to Kentucky, widely known to be one of the worst geographic areas of the country for allergies of many kinds- pollen, mold, and dust. Ragweed - highly allergenic - is the state flower! Everything molds in the fall here. Getting off dairy won't cure it all in this instance, I'm afraid. I've lived in Kentucky most of my life. Her system may acclimate, and a neti pot will help when she's old enough to use one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.