Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ds has had constipation issues since he started solid foods... he is now 3.
he is on some medication to help with this- tho- it has been months and he still gets constipated without the meds.
i would like to try a totally new diet approach- whether adding or taking away foods...i do not think i am brace enough to handle tradition foods just yet- but convince me if you want!
on a usual day he willl eat
bfast-scrambled eggs/cheese( crappy singles) or cheerios
lunch- salmi, ham,or chicen strips,or pizza, applesauce, yogurt, or other fruit
dinner- some meat( pork steak and the like) corn or peas- frozen. &bread.

i am familiar with a yeast free diet- i just have a hard time sticking with it....
he is also pretty hyper- and thin.

please help me. i will go grocery shopping saturday to the coop and to the farmers market
thank you.

·
Registered
631 Posts
How about adding some more roughage to his diet? The menu sounds like it is heavy on the protein and simple carbs, maybe some greens with lunch and dinner? Maybe some raw veggies, with dip, like cucumber, carrots, with some hummus or ranch dip? I know too much dairy can be constipating, especially cheese. HTH

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
Cut out applesauce and bananas. I'd skip the pasta too. Go easy on the meat, bread, and cheese. Increase the amount of veggies he eats, especially things like spinach, carrots, etc. Peas are good, corn too. Pears, blueberries, and of course prunes are good. Have him drink a lot more water. Give him a probiotic (the powder you get at Good Foods or wherever) and feed him yogurt.

DD was constipated for quite a while and these things worked for us, although it took some time. Good luck - constipation is no fun!

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
Sounds like the only veggies he's eating are starchy ones, and the only fruits he's eating are constipating ones. Probably some different fruits and veggies, and whole grains versus refined grains, and plenty of water would help. Would he eat dried fruits? My older son loves dried apricots and the younger one loves raisins, both of which cure constipation in no time!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts