Mothering Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying everything: prunes, pear juice, flaxmeal mixed into my morning breakfast, even Benefiber.
I used to be an every day at the same time kind of regular, and now I'm lucky if it's every other or every 3 days... and when I do go, it's very difficult to say the least...

Is there any help out there? I know it's not my prenatal, as I've been on the same prenatal for almost 2 years now and it's never, ever bothered me.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I prefer Fibercon to Benefiber-I take it normally to combat diarrhea as a side effect of another medication that I'm on.

The thing that's helped the most though has been to eat foods that I know make me go...for me, that's things like corn and carrots and vegetables like cucumber with the skin on, or red pepper and tomatoes-stuff with undigestable skins.

·
Registered
4,748 Posts
Step 1: Draw a warm (not hot) bath.

Step 2: Sit in bath. Read and/or listen to music. Relax and don't think about poop. I actually put my legs up on the tub so I'm kind of in an almost-laying-down "squat" position, but that's just usually how I sit in the tub since we have a small tub and I have long legs.

After a half hour or 45 minutes of this, I usually have to poop. If not, I try again the next day.

It sucks, though... we have SUPER metallic water. A few weeks ago, I would have never even FATHOMED bathing in it. It looks like I'm bathing in pee; it's that discolored.

DH laughs at me needing a poop routine (he poops every day at the same time, without fail), but it really helps.

Now I just need to get a good water filter for the tub faucet. Any recommendations? This is SERIOUSLY metallic water.

·
Registered
51,189 Posts
I know you said you've tried prunes but have you tried prune juice? Sunsweet with pulp does the trick for me when I need it. I'd have to eat a whole box of prunes otherwise and even then they don't really help. A good 8 oz glass followed by about twice that of water. i got the store brand last time and it didn't do a thing. So I gave in a had a laxative dose of some orange fiber drink my mom gave me (I think it was the store brand of metamucil). It tasted like thick tang. One of my mws also swore by fresh carrot juice. Just drink a glass every hour or so until you go.
Speaking of water, are you drinking enough? I get constipated when I'm pregnant too (I consider missing a day a sign of constipation) and it has nothing to do with the prenatals either. It's partly because I eat more processed foods and also because digestion in general slows down a bit when you are pg. It takes a tremedous amount of energy to digest food, and when you are growing a baby, your body is already sapped for a good bit of that energy. So it kinda makes sense. Can you try and eat only fresh fruit and veggies (raw) for snacks? Getting some good roughage in there can help too.
There are a few herbal colon cleanse products on the market that are safe to take when pg. (I've taken some of the harsher ones like Dr. Schulze and ended up in a bit of intestinal pain for half the day so I don't recommend that). You could look into that too.

·
Premium Member
3,325 Posts
What helped me was a big bowl of fresh grapes. I was VERY constipated after DD's birth and complained to my DH. He suggested the grapes. I thought he was crazy, but figured it couldn't hurt anything. Within an hour of eating them I was moving fine.

For me, dehydration rather than lack of fiber in my diet is likely to cause constipation. If you haven't already done it, you might also increase your fluid intake!

·
Registered
530 Posts
PROBIOTICS

absolutely will help...and they are good for you anyway.

If you like and can tolerate kefir, that is the best (especially if you make it). or go to the healthfood store and ask for a good probiotic.

Store-bought yogurt isn't strong enough

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the tips. Unfortunately right now, raw veggies make me want to hurl... the occassional carrot stick is about all I can handle. I'm drinking a ton of water, about 2 liters a day, plus herbal tea and warm milk before bed. I'll try to find that prune juice, and the bath idea sounds so good even if it doesn't make me go!

I think a lot of the problem is that I have hemroids (I've had bouts with them for years), so being constipated is a very painful issue for me

Edited to add that I am on a daily probiotic

·
Registered
119 Posts
I don't really have any other advice to add. All great ideas so far. I just wanted to say that I feel for you.
I have issues with constipation, too. And I notice that my m/s is so much worse if I'm not regular. Two days ago I hadn't been able to go for several days and I was practically laying on the couch all day except to run to the toilet to puke 4 or 5 times. Yesterday I was finally able to poop and I've only been mildy sick (no puking!) for a day and a half now. Unfortunately it's a cycle that keeps repeating every few days.
: I can't wait until my system calms down, hopefully soon!

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ironica View Post
Reduce or eliminate dairy consumption. Dairy causes constipation for a LOT of people, and pregnant women often eat a *ton* of dairy.
ITA.

Pears & grapes work for me. Check to see if it's safe first, but Smooth Move tea works very well when you're desperate.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
So advice, but I just wanted to say that I feel for you.

I'm having similar problems, but instead of hemmerhoids, I have a fissure. This junk is NOT fun!

·
Registered
833 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by splath View Post
raw veggies make me want to hurl... the occassional carrot stick is about all I can handle.
So good to hear you say that! At my 12 week appt this week my dr. talked about a balanced diet and I wanted to snicker.

I bought veggie dip hoping it would help entice me back to veggies. Never had this problem before!

·
Registered
805 Posts
*sigh* Same issue here. Last pregnancy I went over 2 weeks once and it was miserable.

Apple juice helps, as do prunes and LOTS of water. I can't handle the fiber supplements atm. I try to eat tons and tons of fruit in general.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
this is happening to me too! i've been drinking metamucil like 3 times a day, trying to eat more fiber and my doc told me to use tucks wipes to help with it being painful. he also switched me to primacare premier.. its a prenatal with a stool softener and its been working amazing.. i know you said you've been on the same one for awhile but maybe you should see about switching to that one. even if your prenatal isn't causing it, maybe this one will HELP it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.