Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everybody,<br><br>
My 6 month old boy hasn't pooped for two days! This happened once before and I stopped giving him rice cereal and then just stopped giving him solids at all and he eventually went back to one poop a day (which still seems like it's not very much...)<br><br>
I had him off solids for a week and now we've tried some oatmeal instead of rice (I heard that's better for avoiding constipation) and we've tried bananas, because he likes them. And now again, he is constipated.<br><br>
First of all, how long should I wait before I get worried? 3 days? 4 days?<br><br>
And then, I am thinking maybe he's just not ready for solids at all yet?

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Eh, some babies don't poop for a week.<br><br>
We used to have a several-times-a-day pooper before solids. After starting, she went down to only one good poop every day or two. If you're worried, feed him prunes!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Well, I would say it depends on what he's like when he does go. I tried giving my ds solids at 7 mo, starting w/ rice cereal. Have you heard of the BRAT diet for diarhea (sp?)? It's nothing but Banana, Rice, Applesauce, and Toast for a baby/adult with the runs. So, if poo is an issue, don't feed rice, banana, apples, or bread/toast/wheat. I have the kind of kid for whom pooping has always been a production, even when EBF. I've investigated all kinds of allergies to what I was eating, what he eats, etc. to no avail. I think it is just his digestive system. So, I stay away from BRAT diet stuff, and stick to watery stuff (pears, peaches, squash) and stay away from starches (sweet potatoe, cereals, etc.). But, it is still sometimes a day or two before he goes. Apparently that is common.<br><br>
Hope that helps!<br><br>
Teresa<br>
Marcos 11/3/04

·
Registered
293 Posts
We're having this issue as well. I'm trying to push some juices (but she doesn't like the cup or any kind of bottle for that matter) so I fill MY cup with some half prune and apple juice/half water and she'll drink from that. It's been helping to loosen things up a bit, but she still has just little rabbit pellet poops. She doesn't even do many solids-a bite here and there and she's still stopped up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Are the bm's solid but still clay like...ie not rock hard...if so then this is completley normal when there is a change of diet (like to cereal) As long as your baby's not straining to have a bm then you don't need prune juice or anything. This is a natural shift...what goes in must come out. I just started feeding my dd carrots and her bm's are now orange!!<br>
But at 6 mos this is normal, some babies go without having a bm for up to 2 weeks. If your baby is mostly breastfed this is because they use up everything in breatmilk and since there are no fillers, like there are in formula, this results in less waste being generated. So, don't worry...but since you've introduced solids, say bye-bye to those sweet, soft bm's!<br>
Also, dr's reccomend that when first introducing solids you stay on one grain for a few weeks to see if there are any alergies before moving to another grain.<br>
Good Luck!

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
It sounds to me like your babe isn't ready for solids. Personally I'd back off and go back to just breastfeeding for at least another month.<br><br>
-Angela

1 - 6 of 6 Posts