Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>So, a few days ago, on facebook, I was contacted by one of my cousins. On my father's side.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I barely speak to my dad, he's more like an acquaintance. So think once a month phone calls, an email here & there. I haven't seen him since I was 5. Quick background: I was born overseas, my mom left with me and my two sisters to the US. My dad has had the ability to come visit, but hasn't in over 23 years. Not even for my sister's wedding, our baptisms, etc. He, however, keeps griping about how he misses us and wants us to visit, and blah, blah, blah. From what I have pieced together, he was not violent, but very immature. So, no bad mojo/toxic stuff.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Anyways, just because I have issues with my dad doesn't mean I'm not interested in that side of the family. I have 12 cousins on that side! And the only living Grandparent. Plus, I have two sons who should at least have some relationship with that side of the family as well.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Now, how do I go about doing this?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>For one, they are all in Europe. I am in the US. Only one cousin speaks English and I have started by emailing him.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>How do I start a relationship without getting into the whole 'poor dad/mom left him' crap? How in the world do you catch up on almost 3 decades worth of missed stuff?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>As for the language question. I can understand and speak German, French and Spanish. So I have some idea of what it's like to learn another language. They all speak Greek. I am Greek but was never taught Greek. The only modern Greek language courses available are all an hour drive away, which is not possible to do with a almost 2 month old, a 3 year old, and me taking courses to get my pre-reqs in nursing done.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Are there any other resources out there for learning another language that I can do on my own? Certain books, websites, etc that could teach me Greek, which I can try to fill in with my mom or someone from Church?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Also, what is the best way to brush up on my other languages? I haven't spoken German in over a decade and while I am not a beginner level, I know I am no longer fluent in it. I can comprehend a ton, but actually speaking it--no. Same with French and Spanish.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Sorry about the long post. I'm kinda jittery about it all. I mean, there's a whole other side to my family I am just now, at 28, getting to know. That, along with some other stuff in my life has thrown me for a bit of a loop.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Ami</p>

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
<p>I've heard Rosetta Stone is highly regarded.  For free stuff, I have fun with About French; it's one of the About.Com sites.</p>

·
Premium Member
15,952 Posts
<p>Rosetta Stone is really awesome, we have the Spanish version. </p>

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
<p>I've heard great things about Rosetta Stone, and actually used it in a French class I was taking in college.  They are really really expensive, though.  Check with your library and see if they have it.  Sometimes language like Greek won't have a huge waiting list (I was 170th on the waiting list for French a while ago LOL)</p>

1 - 5 of 5 Posts