Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8,927 Posts
How old is DS? Is he able to understand that it's how people used to think was an appropriate way to punish children but now people are understanding that it's wrong?

I think it would more depend on maturity level then anything else.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
I've seen that Peter Rabbit DVD. I think that most kids old enough to enjoy it could understand that people used to do things differently. There are some of the Disney DVDs that bother me much more, after watching Alladin, for example, dd, who is 3, began being very rude to people. I find that she can understand that hitting is not ok, but inappropriate ways of speaking to people are much harder for her to grasp.

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
I know it may sound like a pain, but for the rare DVD's we do watch we always pre-screen when DS is asleep before watching with him. You can also look many movies up on www.kidsinmind.com

Much of what we watch is no on there though, because we tend to stick to documentaries and older movies.

It would help to know how old your child is....

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
I say, "Oh! That's not nice!" as if I am very surprised to see such a thing. Then I leave it alone unless he brings it up later, in which case we discuss what the characters should have done instead.

I figure it's working because my son (almost 4) now reacts that way before I can. For example, when we were watching a show with commericals and saw a trailer for some movie involving a swordfight, he said, "Oh! That's very dangerous!
They should talk about it instead of hurting!"

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.