Mothering Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all! I have been a lurker here for a long time and I've been having some issues that I am hoping some of you more experienced ladies can help with.

I will start by saying this is my first pregnancy and we had no problems getting pregnant. I am due mid-December and so far this has been a pretty terrible experience for me. I started out the first 3 months with horrible morning sickness. After that cleared, I had like 2 weeks of feeling awesome. Then I started having really bad heart palpitations and dizziness, tingling hands and feet, and anxiety. I monitored my blood sugar for awhile and I am not experiencing diabetes, but my sugars do go pretty low regularly. I also had my thyroid and iron checked about 2 weeks ago and everything looked normal.

When I hit 20 weeks and I started to feel baby kick harder and move more, I started getting a very uncomfortable pressure in my pelvis. Sometimes its more rectal pressure and sometimes more vaginal, sometimes both. Then I started noticing my stomach would be hard when I would go from standing to laying or sitting. I never felt it contract, but it was noticeably hard and would go away after a few mins. Sometimes it stuck around for 10 mins or so, but no pain. One night I started having to pee like every 10 mins. So I thought I had a bladder infection and went to urgent care. I tested negative for bladder infection (they prescribed me antibiotics anyway, I didn't take them) and was sent on my way. They also did a quick vaginal exam and swabbed me. They called me the next day and said I had tested positive for BV. So I was prescribed Flagyl which I did take and finished. I had no noticeable BV symptoms and none of my symptoms resolved after taking the Flagyl, although I suspect the BV is gone because I no longer have an ammonia smell to my urine. I suspect I have had BV for awhile, because the ammonia smell was almost a normal thing for me.

At 21 weeks, I went into the ER, convinced I was having labor contractions. They took me in, asked me a bunch of questions, listened to baby with a doppler (HR 150), gave me a saline drip, and checked my cervix with a vaginal exam. Cervix was closed. (She also said, "nothing is sticking out". I was like what?! Does that happen!!!) They sent me home and said to take Tylenol if it hurts too much. I haven't taken anything because there hasn't been significant pain.

Now at 23 weeks, I am started to feel more noticeable contractions through the day that I can feel. My heart starts to beat fast, it gets a little harder to breath, and I can feel my abdomen harden. Sometimes its accompanied by very dull cramps and sometimes not. Along with those, I still have the more minor "contractions" when I am on my feet. I can't tell for sure, but I am pretty sure my uterus is hard the entire time I am on my feet, walking, or in my car. I can't feel those smaller ones coming or going, but I can feel the other ones. They really freak me out and I am to the point where I am scared to even be up and moving around. But overall, I would say I don't get those kinds of contractions more than 10 times a day. Baby moves a lot and I feel it kicking throughout the day which makes me feel a bit better. I also have a very small bump for 23 weeks. I was measured on Wednesday at 21 cm.

Throughout this, I have been talking to my midwife. She isn't concerned at all. She said I have a "busy" uterus and to drink water and take magnesium. Which I am doing, but I don't notice much of a difference. She examined me on Wednesday and said baby was feet down and maybe that is why I'm having discomfort. She didn't say anything about reducing activity levels at all or mention checking my cervix. She is very experienced and has been in practice for over 25 years so I am trying to trust her judgement.

Last night I took a short walk with my dogs and I had cramping the whole time. Not severe at all, but uncomfortable. When I got home, I had bad diarrhea, which I am thinking is from the magnesium. I rested after the walk and felt fine all night. I feel ok today, but did have some of the more intense contractions in the car and when I went to the store. I timed them and they were more than 10 mins apart and stopped as soon as I got home and got to the couch.

I go for my anatomy scan on Tuesday where they will be checking my cervical length. I am super nervous about that.

I am also still experiencing minor nausea and lack of appetite and I throw up still a few times a week.

Does anyone have any advice? Any experience with this? It's causing me so much anxiety and I am so scared of going into pre-term labor. Any herbal suggestions? I have used motherwort in the past for anxiety but I know that's not ok for use in pregnancy. Valerian? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks for reading all of this!

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
I was going to ask when they were going to check your cervical length. So, they didn't do this when they checked you in the ER? Honestly, they really should have.

But, I think the cervical length check will really ease your fears. There's a lot of pressure and activity in that area when pregnant. If everything checks out, I have to assume that it's in the normal range.

But, it also sounds like your body is telling you to take it easy. If your body is telling you to take it easy, I think you should listen to that overall.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was going to ask when they were going to check your cervical length. So, they didn't do this when they checked you in the ER? Honestly, they really should have.

But, I think the cervical length check will really ease your fears. There's a lot of pressure and activity in that area when pregnant. If everything checks out, I have to assume that it's in the normal range.

But, it also sounds like your body is telling you to take it easy. If your body is telling you to take it easy, I think you should listen to that overall.
No she just said it was closed. They were really weird at the ER. They kept coming in and saying "So you are having back pain?" And I would say no, I am not in any pain. And then the next nurse would come in and say "So, I hear you have abdominal pain". No, no pain. Then third nurse came and said "Here is some Tylenol for your pain". GRR!! They were in communication with labor and delivery and were kind of just going off of what they said. They couldn't send me there because their policy was to only send if I was 22 weeks or more. They were going too hook me up to an ultrasound machine but it I kept telling them the baby was fine, kicking and healthy heartbeat. I wanted my cervix to be checked and contractions monitored. Of course as soon as I got the ER, the contractions stopped for the most part.

It's weird to me that my midwife hasn't asked about or checked my cervix. She doesn't like to do vaginal exams though. She was a little upset I got one when I went to the ER.

Tuesday cannot come soon enough, although I am super nervous about it. I will be devastated if it's changing.

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
I know it doesn't sound like it, but you're not in a bad position. At 23 weeks, you're close to the age of viability. And, of course, you don't want to have a baby at that time, you know you're getting into the safe zone.

So, take it as easy as you can. Stay very hydrated and stay off your feet until Tuesday. Hopefully, someone else can give some more advice.

Let us know the results of Tuesday.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know it doesn't sound like it, but you're not in a bad position. At 23 weeks, you're close to the age of viability. And, of course, you don't want to have a baby at that time, you know you're getting into the safe zone.

So, take it as easy as you can. Stay very hydrated and stay off your feet until Tuesday. Hopefully, someone else can give some more advice.

Let us know the results of Tuesday.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I don't have much to contribute other than to confirm that magnesium absolutely causes diarrhea. It's what they give you before a colonoscopy to empty you out. A deficiency in magnesium will, however, cause hard muscle cramping so you need to get it into your system. There are magnesium creams that bypass the stomach. These might help. Insufficient magnesium also produces anxiety.

I know this because I had to take symbicort after a severe lung infection. It depletes your magnesium. I'd never had an anxiety attack in my life until I became magnesium deficient.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Meanwhile I'm sure that people are holding you in their hearts and sending prayerful, healing energy your way. Sit back and binge watch something absorbing between now and Tuesday. And take Monday off if you can.

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
Hi @Saladd. Thinking of you today. How did your appointment go?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you everyone who replied and was sending good thoughts!

I had my ultrasound today. All seems well. Baby is perfect and healthy and wonderful. She measured my cervix right away. First measurement was something like 4.7cm and then she did it again towards the end and I think it said it was around 5cm. So from what I have read, that is good right? She said it all looked good.

Baby was in a low breech pike position and from what it looked like to me, it's butt was right on my cervix. Could this have been causing the discomfort? IS it normal for baby to be that low right now? The pressure I was feeling on my pelvis was totally gone today. I just went for a 30 min walk and it felt great.

Also, my placenta is anterior. Which I thought was weird. Because I have felt pretty good movements since 18 weeks and I feel them daily and I feel them pretty hard near my belly button on most days. Although today baby has been very quiet. Maybe because the breech position?

I am not worried about the breech, I know baby has plenty of room to flip around still.

I haven't been monitoring contractions too much today. I know I didn't have any more intense ones at all today, but my uterus was hard a lot. And the ultrasound tech said I had a Braxton Hicks while she was doing her thing, and I didn't feel it at all. Are there varying intensities to Braxton Hicks? Like can it be really mild sometimes and more intense other times? Am I over analyzing this a bit?

I will add that I have a history of health anxiety and this pregnancy has intensified it. I had spotting when I was around 6 weeks and was convincing I was miscarrying. Then I was certain the baby would have spina bifida because I didn't take folate. Then I was convinced I had gesational diabetes and hyperthyroidism. None of these things actually happened. So I am very aware of my anxiety issues and I am trying not to go down that road again because I know anxiety is not good for the baby. But I also don't want to overlook anything.

·
Registered
10 Posts
It's really strange that no one has mentioned that what you are experiencing is completely normal. Any cursory Internet search (generally on BabyCenter forums) will tell you that. Some women experience cramps and Braxton-Hicks pressure from 4 weeks right up until birth. During my last pregnancy I had bad painful cramping every day for a whole month before birth. But I still had to force the little guy out with acupuncture at 40+4. I joke that I was in actual labor for a month, so 48 hour stories don't impress me ;-)

Trust me, you will know when it's time for actual labor, and you will laugh at yourself for thinking the pressure you previously felt was anything like labor. If you were having a miscarriage you'd be on the floor crying in pain, unable to get up or move.

This pregnancy I have also had cramping starting at 4 weeks, up until the end of the first trimester, and some bleeding at 8 weeks. I was also seriously worried about miscarriage, but it turned out to be an irritated cervix from intercourse.

As long as the cervix is closed nothing is coming out, even if you do have severe cramping or labor pains. Your body is just getting ready and practicing and strengthing those muscles for the actual labor day.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I also wanted to add this: Stress hormones flooding your body are actually the worst thing for your baby right now. It's more important that you find ways to relax than do anything else to help your pregnancy. I know, I know, when did it ever help to tell someone who was depressed/anxious to 'just relax'? I understand. However, it would definitely behoove you to talk with a professional. You need to focus on de-stressing about your anxieties, and talking with someone in person can really help with that. It will also help to already have a go-to psychiatrist/pyschologist/mental health professional available in case you struggle with postpartum depression/anxiety, which it sounds like you may be at risk of. Good luck.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the info. I actually did do a lot of Internet searching and never did I find anyone saying what i was experiencing is normal. Braxton Hicks are normal I understand, but the "seizing" up of my uterus while upright or walking was referred to as irritable uterus. Searches on irritable uterus led to an inevitable prescription of medications, steroids, and bedrest my cervix gives and I go into preterm labor.

I do see a therapist (for the past 2 years) weekly so I'm lucky to be able to have the support. I have struggled with anxiety since I was a child and I usually have a pretty good handle on it. I'm also aware I'm at risk for PPD, and I have set up support systems for if that happens. I also see an acupuncturist.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hello all! I have been a lurker here for a long time and I've been having some issues that I am hoping some of you more experienced ladies can help with.

I will start by saying this is my first pregnancy and we had no problems getting pregnant. I am due mid-December and so far this has been a pretty terrible experience for me. I started out the first 3 months with horrible morning sickness. After that cleared, I had like 2 weeks of feeling awesome. Then I started having really bad heart palpitations and dizziness, tingling hands and feet, and anxiety. I monitored my blood sugar for awhile and I am not experiencing diabetes, but my sugars do go pretty low regularly. I also had my thyroid and iron checked about 2 weeks ago and everything looked normal.

When I hit 20 weeks and I started to feel baby kick harder and move more, I started getting a very uncomfortable pressure in my pelvis. Sometimes its more rectal pressure and sometimes more vaginal, sometimes both. Then I started noticing my stomach would be hard when I would go from standing to laying or sitting. I never felt it contract, but it was noticeably hard and would go away after a few mins. Sometimes it stuck around for 10 mins or so, but no pain. One night I started having to pee like every 10 mins. So I thought I had a bladder infection and went to urgent care. I tested negative for bladder infection (they prescribed me antibiotics anyway, I didn't take them) and was sent on my way. They also did a quick vaginal exam and swabbed me. They called me the next day and said I had tested positive for BV. So I was prescribed Flagyl which I did take and finished. I had no noticeable BV symptoms and none of my symptoms resolved after taking the Flagyl, although I suspect the BV is gone because I no longer have an ammonia smell to my urine. I suspect I have had BV for awhile, because the ammonia smell was almost a normal thing for me.

At 21 weeks, I went into the ER, convinced I was having labor contractions. They took me in, asked me a bunch of questions, listened to baby with a doppler (HR 150), gave me a saline drip, and checked my cervix with a vaginal exam. Cervix was closed. (She also said, "nothing is sticking out". I was like what?! Does that happen!!!) They sent me home and said to take Tylenol if it hurts too much. I haven't taken anything because there hasn't been significant pain.

Now at 23 weeks, I am started to feel more noticeable contractions through the day that I can feel. My heart starts to beat fast, it gets a little harder to breath, and I can feel my abdomen harden. Sometimes its accompanied by very dull cramps and sometimes not. Along with those, I still have the more minor "contractions" when I am on my feet. I can't tell for sure, but I am pretty sure my uterus is hard the entire time I am on my feet, walking, or in my car. I can't feel those smaller ones coming or going, but I can feel the other ones. They really freak me out and I am to the point where I am scared to even be up and moving around. But overall, I would say I don't get those kinds of contractions more than 10 times a day. Baby moves a lot and I feel it kicking throughout the day which makes me feel a bit better. I also have a very small bump for 23 weeks. I was measured on Wednesday at 21 cm.

Throughout this, I have been talking to my midwife. She isn't concerned at all. She said I have a "busy" uterus and to drink water and take magnesium. Which I am doing, but I don't notice much of a difference. She examined me on Wednesday and said baby was feet down and maybe that is why I'm having discomfort. She didn't say anything about reducing activity levels at all or mention checking my cervix. She is very experienced and has been in practice for over 25 years so I am trying to trust her judgement.

Last night I took a short walk with my dogs and I had cramping the whole time. Not severe at all, but uncomfortable. When I got home, I had bad diarrhea, which I am thinking is from the magnesium. I rested after the walk and felt fine all night. I feel ok today, but did have some of the more intense contractions in the car and when I went to the store. I timed them and they were more than 10 mins apart and stopped as soon as I got home and got to the couch.

I go for my anatomy scan on Tuesday where they will be checking my cervical length. I am super nervous about that.

I am also still experiencing minor nausea and lack of appetite and I throw up still a few times a week.

Does anyone have any advice? Any experience with this? It's causing me so much anxiety and I am so scared of going into pre-term labor. Any herbal suggestions? I have used motherwort in the past for anxiety but I know that's not ok for use in pregnancy. Valerian? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks for reading all of this!
I had irritable uterus with those same symptoms throughout both of my pregnancies (one singleton pregnancy and one twin pregnancy). In both pregnancies, at the beginning of third trimester, I had a day where I had real, strong, painful contractions for a few hours and got monitored, then they fizzled out. No one ever put me on any drugs or bed rest and I had my singleton at 41 1/2 weeks and my twins at 38 weeks. I think it's just normal for some women...and all the contractions did eventually dilate my cervix and my labors were short, so there's that! The best thing you can do is not stress ( I know, almost impossible!) and not overdo it with activity but walk when you can. The tight uterus is the worst- so uncomfortable! I found that warm baths were really helpful when my contractions really got going - I often had consistent contractions every 2-5 minutes that weren't painful in the evenings from halfway through my pregnancy on, as well as the tight uterus with any activity at all. If you can find a tub that your belly can get submerged in, that's the best. I rented a birth tub with my twin pregnancy and used it once or twice a day to calm my uterus for the last two months. Best of luck and stay positive!

Reactions: Xerxella

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks amycvincent for your story. It does make me feel a bit better. I don't feel like the busy uterus has gotten worse, so that's good I guess. It seems there is a pattern as well. When I get up and go to work it seems to be pretty active. By the time I'm heading home for work, it seems more settled.

I've been lounging on the couch all morning and there have been times when my tummy gets hard, but only on one side. And it's always followed by baby movement and I can even sometimes move the baby with my hands. But then it will always go soft after a few mins. My midwife says that that is baby, although my uterus may be "reacting" to a big baby stretch. I usually don't count those as a contraction. I also read that when your uterus partially contracts, it doesn't have an effect on the cervix. And my most frequent "hardenings" are not my entire uterus. Water and magnesium usually keeps away the stronger ones that take my breath away.

I walked yesterday and had lots of vaginal pressure again. It felt like baby was pushing out and freaked me out a bit. But I went to bed shortly after and woke up this morning feeling fine. Does vaginal pressure have anything to do with how low you are carrying or the tone of your pelvic floor muscles? Im certainly not an athletic person, but I wouldn't say I'm sedentary either.

All in all, I've felt much more relaxed the last few days about this uterus business. Even on my very busy days, it never escalates and I rarely have hardness once I relax and lay down. I hope it stays that way. I also am seeing a prenatal acupuncturist twice a week and I'm hoping that can help calm things down.

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
You seem to be managing everything very well. You might want to try a chiropractor who specializes in pregnancy too. They can do wonders.

I think (now that they've confirmed your cervix looks great) that much of what you're feeling is normal pregnancy stuff. I feel at the end of pregnancy that it feels like there's a bowling ball sitting in your vagina. I'd tell the medical caregiver and they'd check, no, no, everything's fine. And it was. It just normally feels like there's a bowling ball sitting on your cervix because, well, there basically is....

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yea I tend to be extremely sensitive to bodily sensations so I think I'm just being a wimp.

I had a chiropractor up until this week but now that I have the acupuncture and I also see a therapist (I pay out of pocket for all that) plus my midwife and doula can't afford chiropractic care anymore.

Thanks for the reassurance :)

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
Not a wimp. It's extremely uncomfortable and unnerving feeling. (At least it was for me!) You're doing great. If you've never been pregnant before, how would you know what's normal and what's not?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks :) My close friend is due about a month ahead of me and she's just having the most perfectly awesome pregnancy ever. I also have 2 co workers who said they just loved being pregnant. So I just felt like "I shouldn't be feeling like this, I'm only 24 weeks so I should have tons of energy and no discomfort at all!" I guess every pregnancy is different. I'm even still throwing up a few times a week.

Everyone says, enjoy being pregnant because once baby comes, you'll be so busy. I'm like well at least I hope I'll be a functioning human being again by that point, I don't mind being busy!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Having a rough day today. I started getting more regular BH yesterday that I was timing 15 mins or so apart. I went to bed and this morning everything seemed to be fine. I took my dogs for a decent walk, not a long hike or anything, and came back home to rest. I was timing then 4 mins apart at that point. Panicking, I called my MW and she said to take some valerian, drink water (already drinking a ton of water) and take an Epsom salt bath. They have now slowed to 1-2 an hour.

This is making me very nervous and very scared. I'm only 25 weeks. If this was happening at 36 weeks I'd be totally fine with it. But...

They aren't painful at all and I don't even notice them if it wasn't for me obsessivly touching my stomach.

I have not increased my activity levels at all and haven't been under any stress. I haven't changed anything actually. The only 2 different things that occurred was that I had a quick vaginal exam on Friday testing for BV reoccurrence (negative) and I drank about a gallon of chocolate milk in 24 hrs.

What is going on?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Just wanted to comment....

I had BHs with all of my pregnancies. This last time was insane--my youngest was/is the most active child in utero of all of mine, and I found that anytime he'd move, it would set off the BHs. I had BHs from the first trimester! Tons of tightening, etc. I never worried about it, though. :) Good luck, and try to enjoy/relax! :)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts