Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My almost-two-year old ds will get his MRI within the next couple of months. I noticed in the instructions that the doctor ordered the type of MRI that does not take contrast dyes. On one hand, I am very thankful for this as I realize contrast dyes are serious business. On the other hand, I worry that something might be missed.

What exactly can't be seen if the dye is not used?

·
Registered
0 Posts
I'm not sure what can be missed. My daughter had an MRI done at 22 months, and they did it with and without, just to avoid having to redo it if the without came back clean. I am not sure of your situation, but with my daughter they didn't know what was wrong with her, only that she was having rapid onset motor issues, and they didn't know what was causing it.
Maybe your doctor has an idea of what they are looking for, and the contrast is not needed. I would call and ask... ask as many questions as you think of.. it will help you to make decisions about other things the better educated you are about all the procedures.

·
Registered
5,813 Posts
I understood that contrast dye was almost always used...so I'm surprised. Tell him you want it used or ask him why he isn't. If you don't like his answer, ask someone else.

·
Premium Member
10,793 Posts
Both of my daughters MRI's were with and without contrast.

·
Registered
6,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for these posts. I am trying to sort some of this out before I chat more with the doc.

Yes, I am still interested if anyone knows why they use it when they use it, and why they don't when they don't.

·
Premium Member
10,793 Posts
I'm not sure when they use it. It just helps them get a better look at the part of the body they need to see.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'm a tech (CT and Angiography) but I did take an MRI elective, so maybe I can help.

Basically, based on the case history, the radiologist protocols whether to inject the Gadolinium or not.

Honestly, it really depends on what they're looking for. If they're specifically looking for tumour then the usual procedure at my facility is to scan without, show the rad the scan and inject if needed. Children, due to their inability to understand what's going on and hold still, are sedated.

An MRI to look at vascualr or gross anatomical structures does not require a dye injection. A brain scan to characterize a brain tumour might, it depends on the tumour. When my neice had her scan, they were looking for scarring or atrophy associated with preterm watershed brain injury, so she didn't require the dye.

Hope I've helped. Good luck. Post back if you have any other questions and I'll try to answer them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.