Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>I wanted to order a button doll kit from Weir, but it's sold out.  Magic Cabin has a non-jointed kit in stock, and I was wondering if it would be possible to convert it to a button doll.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Do you think it will have enough fabric to account for the extra seams for the joints?  Any suggestions on converting it?  Basic instructions or free patterns for making joints?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Thanks!</p>

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
<p>have you tried ordering from another site besides weir?  The doll kits they sell are from Joy's waldorf dolls and there are other websites that also sell them like "a child's dream."</p>
<p> </p>
<p><a href="http://www.achildsdream.com/doll_making/joys_waldorf_dolls_kits.htm" target="_blank">http://www.achildsdream.com/doll_making/joys_waldorf_dolls_kits.htm</a></p>
<p> </p>
<p>Weir has great customer service and I've not ordered from a child's dream, but if they have the pattern you like best, its worth a try.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I have only made Dancing Rain Doll's pattern (no longer in business) but unless these patterns are different, I don't believe the amount of fabric would be different at all.  The DRD pattern gives you the option of doing a button joint or a sewn on arm.  The arm itself is just attached one of two ways, but the fabric used is the same.  The DRD pattern did recommend that you do the sewn on arms for younger children because the button joints are more fragile and don't wear as well FWIW.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>There are tons of tutorials online about how to button joint.  If you google "how to do a button jointed arm" you'll see a ton. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>XOXO</p>
<p>B</p>

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<p>Thank you!  I thought Weir and Joy's was the same company so I didn't think to shop elsewhere.  Good to know it won't take extra fabric.  Thanks for all the tips, I can't wait to start sewing.  It's been 2 years since I've made a waldorf doll; this will be a great re-learning experience.  :)</p>

1 - 3 of 3 Posts