Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have knitted the <a href="http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEwinter05/PATTtubey.html" target="_blank">Tubey</a> down to about the bust, but I'm preggo and due in late Jan so I wouldn't even be able to wear it until next winter. I was thinking that I could finish it up as a maternity sweater for this winter, then take out the bottom and re-finish it as a regular sweater for next winter.<br><br>
Would it be possible to convert the Tubey pattern into a maternity sweater? And if so, please explain {in the simplest dummyproof way possible, please!}<br><br>
~TIA

·
Registered
7,279 Posts
I bet if you make it a bit longer and maybe a size bigger around (or maybe just a couple inches/rib repeats bigger) than you normally would want for the bottom it would work for maternity. You might even consider doing some sort of eyelet across the top so you could tighten up the top if it is too loose (showing too much cleveage) by threading through a ribbon or i-cord or something. You'd probably want it 2 or 3 inches longer, though, just so it covers the bottom of your belly. The fact that it's ribbed should help a lot in the expansion, I think.

·
Registered
171 Posts
The few maternity patterns I've come across have relied heavily on short rows in the belly area. (Short rows are a great way to add room for a large bust or a beer belly too.) Since short rows essentialy add length to the middle of your sweater it will distort the stripe pattern of the sweater. Check the knitting glosstery of knitty.com for instructions. If that's not an option for you you could also try a more stretchy rib such as the mistake stich rib pattern or a twisted rib.<br><br>
Mistake stich is: (Right Side) K1, P2, K2 to end<br><br>
This results in a pattern of knit, garter, purl that is very stretchy.<br><br>
Twisted rib (please someone tell me if there is a better name for this) is essentially doing a basic rib, but with twisted stiches. Something about the twisting allows the fabric to stretch more readily.<br><br>
Also, if you're knitting from the top down be sure to cast/bind off very loosely. Otherwise you might not be able to get the thing over your belly.

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
I think it would be easy to do, and you could probably do it without short rows, as long as you make it long enough. Since it's ribbing, it will *give* a lot around the belly. Somewhere just below the bust (probably just about where an empire waist would fall) I'd increase the 3 by 1 rib to a 3 by 2, and switch to needles 2 sizes up. That should give you enough room to go around the belly, and I'd add 5-7" in length so that it's not constantly riding up in the front.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts