Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have food issues. I'm now trying to lose a lot of weight. In the past I've either dropped my calorie intake drastically, taken weight loss supplements, and exercised about 2 hours 5 days a week. Not good. On the flip side, I eat whatever I want 3 meals a day, and usually a sweet snack at night. I often find myself very full and sometimes uncomfortably full. I come from a culture that uses a lot of fatty things in cooking, and I was always expected to clean my plate as a child. So, that's what I know and what I'm used to.

So... here is what I need. I need a cookbook with healthy, nutrient rich, lowfat recipes from breakfast, lunch, and supper. Dinners that we can eat as a family - not just me dieting. I'd like it if it told the calories, fat grams, and serving size for each meal.

I am capable of lifestyle change. I went from meateater to vegetarian and back to meateater again. I've cut out all caffeine except for my morning coffee. I just need something cut and dry, so I don't go under calories. I don't want to keep food logs or type things into the computer to keep track. I want something that I can do for life. I know most of the logistics of nutrition, so I really don't want a book on nutrition, but a cookbook.

Thanks for your help and suggestions.

· Registered
22 Posts
I love the Somoma Diet and the Sonoma Diet Cookbook. Every recipe I've tried has beeen delicious. Some are time-consuming to prepare (lots of veggies to chop) but definitely worth it. I grew up eating, and learning to cook, mostly fatty, comfort foods. I'm learning a lot about using fresh herbs and a variety of produce and am becoming a much better cook thanks to these books. Dh can always guess when dinner is a Sonoma recipe. It's becoming a joke at our house. We bought the diet book because the recipes looked good, not because we planned on following the diet, but I did read the diet sections and appreciated the basic ideas. Like most diets, it sresses cutting refined sugars and portion sizes but, beyond that, it encourages you to slow down and really enjoy at least one meal every day. Even better, it recommends that you to have a glass of wine with dinner, not that I needed any encouragement!

· Registered
868 Posts
I've been struggling with my weight and metabolism issues for years since I became hypothyroid. Simply eating low fat or low cal doesn't work for me because of the thyroid stuff, I actually gain weight
:

I have to eat more fat and meat than I would normally like to, so I don't have any diet book suggestions, but my favorite cookbooks of all time are the Moosewood books, with Moosewood Cooks at Home and Moosewood Daily Specials being the books I use almost daily.

The Daily Specials one is my absolute favorite, it's soups and salads. It has the breakdown of fat, calories and other nutrional info, and my favorite part is that it has menu suggestions to make whole meals from soup and salad combinations. Plus it's a pretty book to look at

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.