Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you have dps that are not vegetarian or vegan? I love to cook and have been a vegetarian for over six years. Naturally, alot of the ingredients I cook with include nuts and beans to add protein but also because I LOVE nuts and beans.<br><br>
My dp is allergic to peanuts and is supposed to avoid all legumes. He's also a meat eater. I'm a planner (surprise!) and I like to think about how we'll manage to serve meals for our family to be. I have always wanted to raise my children vegetarian until they are old enough to choose if they want to include meat in their diet. I do not have children yet.<br><br>
However, I think I should have my children avoid nuts and legumes too in the early years to prevent allergies. I want to be able to cook a meal that all of us can eat on a regular basis.<br><br>
I have cooked for dp before so I have a couple recipes that I know he likes. He's cooked for me too. But mostly, it boils down to pasta dishes, salads, and breakfast meals for us. When you omit the nuts and beans in my favorite dishes, it doesn't amount to much. The same for his meat dishes.<br><br>
I guess my question is--how did you decide who and how you'd cook for your non-veg family? I guess I'd always assumed that dp and dc would be veggies like me but it may not be the case.<br><br>
Kylix

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Stir Fry is always good. No beans or anything in it. I usually serve it over rice. For my meateaters I add precooked chicken to theirs after I take mine out. I think I'm gonna start to add it to their plates though. If they don't eat it all I can't eat the leftovers so it goes in the garbage. DH will not eat leftovers. Pasta dishes are good. I also make soups that they will eat. Chili is a great one.<br><br>
Kathi

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
It's worked out that I am veg because, despite the fact that dh eats meat, it doesn't always really agree with him. So he eats meat very seldom at home and usually makes it himself when he does.<br>
Our division of cooking is that when he's off work, he'll try to make 1-2 things, I'll make stuff the rest of the time. It's all veggie, sometimes he'll make a meat something to go along with it if he feels like it.<br><br>
If you need to avoid nuts/beans - bulk up on your repitoire of grain dishes, seitan, eggs. Or try out stuff you can just toss some beans in yours and he can toss some meat in his.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks ladies. I will just have to look around for meatless recipes that have no nuts or beans. We can each add those ingredients separately after it's all cooked.<br><br>
Kylix

1 - 4 of 4 Posts