Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just found this book called "Knitted Babes: Five dolls & their Wardrobes to Knit and Stitch" by Claire Garland. The dolls are so cute, and though I haven't knitted one yet they look very easy (St stitch, some inc/dec etc). After they are knit you can create the face and hair to look anyway you want it too. I plan to get to it after I knit my nieces hat. Just thought I would share.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Souns like a fun project! How did you come across it? I wouldn't mind trying some toys at some point. i was over visiting my neighbor the other day and she had an old book called something like "handmade toys" and she was knitting farm animals from it. They were knit flat and then seamed and stuffed. I think they had wire or something in them because they could stand up. They were so cute!

I'm knitting christmas/chanukah presents now though, so new projects will have to wait for now. Have fun doll knitting!

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'm a newbie to this forum, but I just had to chime in with a shameless showoff
I got this book a few weeks ago and a bunch of "Palette" from knitpicks.com (affordable fingering weight yarn! yay!) and I've made one doll with a dress, a hoody sweater and some pants that I sewed. I'm nearly done with a second doll and will knit/sew some more clothes soon.

Here she is. My 4 yo dd named her Musty

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by hippycrite
I'm a newbie to this forum, but I just had to chime in with a shameless showoff
I got this book a few weeks ago and a bunch of "Palette" from knitpicks.com (affordable fingering weight yarn! yay!) and I've made one doll with a dress, a hoody sweater and some pants that I sewed. I'm nearly done with a second doll and will knit/sew some more clothes soon.

Here she is. My 4 yo dd named her Musty
it--especially her hoody sweater!

·
Registered
14,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ohh your dolly turned out so great Hippycrite! I love her hoody too
I will be sure to show off my dolly when she gets done after the holiday. (read after I get all my gift knitting done!)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by UnschoolnMa
Ohh your dolly turned out so great Hippycrite! I love her hoody too
I will be sure to show off my dolly when she gets done after the holiday. (read after I get all my gift knitting done!)
Yes, same here, doll #2 is pretty much on the back burner until I finish all this holiday knitting.

One thing I noticed when I was making her. The pattern says to stuff the doll before you put the face (eyes, nose, mouth) on, but I think that would have been difficult, so I sewed her face before I stuffed her. Also, if you copy the eye pattern from the book at 100% (which I did), they come out much larger than they look in the photos in the book. Not like you need to even use their pattern, or that larger eyes isn't fine, but I think I'll try smaller eyes next time. Also, the book has you knit stockinette on 4 and 6 stitches for the arms and legs. The thought of 9" of back and forth made me twitchy, so I did 5 and 7 stitch I-cord because I thought it would be easier. And lastly, be sure to stuff her neck area very firmly. The book says to stuff her loosely, which I did, but her neck went *really* floppy before I'd finished attaching her hair. I had to rip open her neck (which was nerve-wracking, I was afraid I would cut the knitting, it was hard to see the seam) and stuff her neck a lot more.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by swimmin_mama
hippycrites - she's so COOOL!!!

love that crown you made as well
Thanks
The crown is a LTK pattern and includes baby to adult sizes. It was a lot of fun to make and my daughter loves it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.