1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"Cool mom" gets 30 years
http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_3215582

Quote:
"Cool mom" Silvia Johnson was sentenced today in Jefferson County to 30 years in prison, on a host of charges, including contributing to the delinquency of minors, sexual assault and violating a restraining order.

Johnson, 41, told an investigator she got drunk with two teenage boys and had sex with them because she wanted to be a "cool mom." As part of the plea agreement struck in July, two felony drug charges against Johnson were dropped.

Johnson was awaiting sentencing on the sexual assault charges when she was hurt in a crash involving a 14-year-old driver. Johnson was the only adult in the Jeep which crashed on Interstate 25 near Castle Rock on Sept. 25th.
Johnson was facing up to 58 years in prison in the sex-assault case.
Men who have done the same to young women receive far shorter sentences.

·
Registered
9,039 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by JessasMilkMama
I think that is way too harsh. In all likelihood the boys quite enjoyed themselves with her.
So it is ok if the boys had fun. What if it was girls? Is it still ok if the girls had fun with a man trying to be a cool dad?

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Yeah, I also think that's way to harsh.

What is strange to me is...how is having sex with some boys making her a cool mom? Who are her kids, how old are they, were they somehow involved? Or was she just thinking it would make her popular with her kids friends?

Very messed up, but men get away with it all the time. but 30 years? Ughh...

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
I think 30 years is too harsh. So she gets 30 years but the girl from the other thread kills her baby (who was neglected and abused) and she only gets 7? You've got people killing their kids and they get less time. I don't get it.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Marsupialmom
So she should get off easier because she is a woman?

Maybe men should get just as much, but in reality some men do and some men don't there are many variable including $$$$$$
:

I just watched the Mary Kay LeTourneau (sp?) and realized that when she had sex with Vili- he was the same age as my son now. If that was my 14yo I would be very happy with 30 years.

I don't buy her explanation. Having sex with your child's minor friends is not to make you cool.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
yeah, cause you know it's worse to party with teenagers then it is too kill your baby.

this is one of the HUGE problems with our legal system: there is no consistancy in sentencing. one women gets 7 years for murding and abusing her helpless infant and one woman gets 30 years for drinking and having sex with minors. no wonder the rest of the workd is baffled by the US. i sure as hell am.

·
Registered
7,794 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by laralou
:

I just watched the Mary Kay LeTourneau (sp?) and realized that when she had sex with Vili- he was the same age as my son now. If that was my 14yo I would be very happy with 30 years.

I don't buy her explanation. Having sex with your child's minor friends is not to make you cool.

·
Registered
43,705 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by honeybeedreams
yeah, cause you know it's worse to party with teenagers then it is too kill your baby.

this is one of the HUGE problems with our legal system: there is no consistancy in sentencing. one women gets 7 years for murding and abusing her helpless infant and one woman gets 30 years for drinking and having sex with minors. no wonder the rest of the workd is baffled by the US. i sure as hell am.
The woman who got 7 years for killing her baby was abused herself and acted out of ignorance, not malice.

This woman obviously knew what she was doing and continued to do it after getting in trouble with the law. One of her charges was violating a restraining order! And why on earth wasn't she driving the carful of teenagers herself? Is it even legal to drive at age 14 where this took place?

·
Registered
962 Posts
Hey, I would like to be a "cool mom" too.... but, um, I have no intention of having sex with underage boys nor suppling them with alcohol...

Yanno, I think just being a mom they can talk to and making your home a relaxed, comfortable environment for kids and teens makes you a "cool mom". Yeah, I think I'll just stick to that...

·
Registered
192 Posts
I don't post too often but this happened in the town I teach in. The woman has a daughter who went to high school with the boys. I hear from reliable sources that she has changed schools. It is not legal for a 14 year old to be driving on the highway here--teenagers can get a permit at 15.5 and a license at 16 then they have to drive only with family members for a certain length of time--I believe it is 6 months but I may be wrong--we are years away from teen drivers in our house. I didn't read the article linked here--I've read and heard so much about it already but she could have gotten as much as 58 years.

·
Premium Member
22,696 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruthla
The woman who got 7 years for killing her baby was abused herself and acted out of ignorance, not malice.

I believe the baby killing mom did act out in anger and malice.

How many men who were horribly abused as children grow up and become sex abusers and even murderers themselves? This doesn't just come out of nowhere.

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
And the baby had been repeatedly abused. The mom had been investigated for abuse in the past, but took off and they couldn't find her. And I'm sorry, it's not like she sprinkled the stuff on the baby's thumb, she kept adding more and more, even after the baby vegan to cough, etc. I am so sick of hearing "I was abused, so forgive anything I do now". She killed her baby. Much worse than what the "cool mom" did.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by JessasMilkMama
I think that is way too harsh. In all likelihood the boys quite enjoyed themselves with her.
That really made me sick to read this. It reminds me of when male rapists claim "but she enjoyed it!"

·
Premium Member
11,209 Posts
IMO, a fair sentence for child sexual abuse.

I was part of a class discussion of this case on Thursday with a high school US History class (current events), and they agreed that the sentence was fair. They were much more concerned about the mother providing the drugs to the kids than about the sex, whatever that means. I think the sex is worse.

Dar

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
If an adult has sex with someone under eighteen, its against the law. Period. Those boys were too young to make a mature decision and the adult took advantage of that. She has got issues!

What has fun got to do with it? Ooo gross!
:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.