Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm joining a milk co-op and need a new cooler. I need something that will hold 10 to 12 1/2 gallon glass jars. I just thought I would ask if any of you have found a cooler that works well for the glass jars. Its a bit trickier with glass because of the breakage factor and the jars need to remain upright so they don't leak. Tips, tricks and rec's much appreciated. Thanks!!!

·
Premium Member
1,210 Posts
I'll be purchasing milk in 1/2 gallon glass jars and have found the wire carriers online. These keep the bottles from banging against one another. Their basically the same as what milk men used to leave on the front porch. If you could then find a couple of large coolers that the carriers would fit into you could just plop them in at pick up.

How about fabric grocery bags? Or, if you sew, maybe you could make some kind of a sleeve that will fit each bottle snugly and allow the bottles to ride next to one another in the cooler without fear of breakage.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
When we used glass bottles for our milk co-op, we just wrapped each of the bottles in towels and kept everything snug with ice packs and additional towels. Our big milk cooler can actually fit 10 gallons of milk. I'm pretty sure it's made by Igloo.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I use 1/2 gallon glass ball jars (like a spaghetti jar but bigger) and I take a piece of cardboard, wrap it around the jar and tape it then that cardboard circle can slip off and on easily. I make one for each jar. You'll just need a cooler that holds them pretty tight

·
Premium Member
1,210 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
You know those mesh plastic sleeves you can get from the liquor store when you buy more than one bottle of wine??? I use those on my jars, to keep them from banging into each other. And I also wrap them in towels and put ice packs in there. I don't use a cooler yet (just a plastic milk crate), but I'm going to have to start.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.