Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after reading some other threads, it's nice to know that i'm not the only one in this boat. i have a 20 mo. old who spends a lot of time with her 30 mo. old cousin. her cousin is going through this stage where the instant my litle one has ANYTHING, she has to go grab it out of her hands - aggressively if needed. by the way, i am in the middle of reading the book "easy to love, difficult to discipline" and trying to incorporate/remember the things i am learning. anyways, a couple of months ago, my little one bit her cousin twice in one day!! i felt absolutely horrible!! ...but i also knew it was because of the relentless tormenting her cousin was doing to her. i tried to teach my daughter to tell her cousin "no, no" with words, instead of using reactions like biting and it has worked pretty well for awhile. like i said this was only one day, months ago and they see eachother probably every other day at least. i think "using words" works b/c it gets my attention and as much as i don't want to get in the middle of it, i do b/c i don't want it leading to violence...and truthfully, b/c her cousin needs to learn not to take everything my daughter lays eyes on. anyways it happened again tonight. i just don't know what to do - my sister was not there to witness this, although it will definately get back to her from other family members. i want to bring it up to her, but she is extremely defensive, and truthfully i think she thinks it's my daughter who is the bully b/c she's the one who actually has bitten! what do i do to bring not only the biting incident to her attention, but also the major problem that leads up to this? by the way, she is NOT a gentle-discpline type of gal either.

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
We had the same issue - we really emphasized no playing alone (EVER) and also working on "taking turns" with items. I.e. one child would have it, and then another, using a timer or parent. If this is not possible, the item got put up out of reach, because the toy did not want to be broken or treated this way.

It's hard, your little one is not yet really verbal, and usually hitting or biting is a way to communicate. In our case, the older was hitting the younger, which can be trickier.

They also might need to have a break from each other for a little while, without making a big deal out of it. They probably will grow out of it, in our experience.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.