Mothering Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you all for sharing your experiences relating to the coil, without them I think I would have thought I was going mad!

I recently took the advice from doctor's and nurses to opt for a copper coil as they confirmed it came with minimal side effects - just heavier periods, however within hours I discovered this was not to be the case; suffering with hot flushes, exhaustion, fatigue, light headedness, severe headaches, sore eyes, tingling sensation in my face, aching and weak limbs, discomfort when moving, non stop bleeding, tearfulness, personality changes and a feeling as if my body was gradually shrivelling up or shutting down.

Only through desperation did I search online to see if this was ever experienced by anyone else and to my surprise it didn't appear to be uncommon. What has really taken my breath away is that through the whole process no professional ever mentioned any of these symptoms, even if it was to indicate it was only a minority that suffered from such unbelievably horrendous discomfort, which I find so neglectful, even if it does work perfectly well for the majority its still good to be fully informed when trying to make a decision about something so important.

Having had the coil fitted on the Friday I had it promptly removed on the following Monday; fortunately all symptoms apart from a swollen and sore stomach have ceased, as a result and now in retrospect if anyone was considering this method of contraception I would recommend it's left completely alone, why I didn't question it before.....that surely if you implant a foreign body into the body, copper of all things, it's highly likely the body will want to reject it, as I'm convinced was the case for me.

I truly hope no other unsuspecting females have to go through what some of us have endured, and that everyone recovers fully and stays well.
flower.gif

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi.im new to site but ive been reading up on side effects with paragard.I was feeling great.working out.happy.in great relationship...I got copper iud in sept..I started feeling a bit anxious...then month by month it got worse...I got horrible anxiety.panic attacks.depressed.mood.swings.rage.dizziness.feeling spacey...like in a fog.like I felt my brain wasnt working.I could barely walk to bathroom wout holding on to walls.work suffered...relationships suffered...looks suffered.I had horrible acne.a weird rash.hair thinning...just looked like hell.I seriously thought I am dying or going crazy...of course I thought just really bad anxiety...I tried EVERYTHING for anxiety and nothing worked.until I prayed on it...up popped on tv...a reality star was having issues w her iud..so im like omg thats what it cld be.iud...I researched copper toxicity or copper imbalance...and a lot of the symptoms I had...so anyway I got iud removed today...so im hoping and praying it is this and I feel like me again.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This thread and others has saved me from genuinely thinking I have lost control of my life. I opted for the copper coil after having my daughter and got it removed yesterday, over 3 years later. These past three years have almost made me give up, making me near impossible to deal with-very short tempered, has nearly broken my relationship with my amazing partner and a depressed, anxious, over-emotional mother afraid to leave the house is something no child should have to deal with.

I am yet to see if this thing has ruined my chances at university as my motivation, energy, general get up and go has completely vanished not helped by constantly achy joints, back ache, cramps, digestive problems.

After removal I felt cramps and was sure I would bleed buckets but nope nothing. From day 1 I have had overly painful extremely heavy periods and the copper coil often made these longer and impossible to deal with pain wise but my previous experiences of the pill made me determined to stick it out. I'm happy to say that I woke up this morning looking forward to the day (washing up and laundry, yay!) but seriously for the first time in over 3 years that feeling and knowing I'm still capable of it is truly amazing.

I hope others find this thread and come into the same realizations because nothing in the world can beat it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am so glad I've came across this!
I found nothing on the Internet before having my copper coil fitted, everything made it out to be amazing! Absolutely no side effects ext,
I went down hill with In 2-3 days of having this fitted, depressed, anxious, nervous, overthinking, and after a around two weeks, suicidal thoughts, I even turned to drink, sat drinking alone not wanting to live! coming from someone that drinks probably once a year on a girls night out, I knew this wasn't normal. These side effects need to be made known, I've suffered with depression all of my life! I could have done something stupid! All because these side effects arnt known, I actually feel worse than I did when I had the marina coil

21 - 24 of 24 Posts