Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>It took my son's big, fat umbilical stump 3 weeks and 3 days to finally detach.  We were not doing anything special to clean it, just keeping it dry and swabbing now and then with a little alcohol if we saw anything gooey in there.  It never smelled bad, and we had plenty of people take a glance at it, and they always said it looked great.  Now that it is gone, his belly button looks a little strange.  It is kind of wide and has three small lumps inside.  Two of the lumps are yellow and gooey looking, the other is bright pink.  No smell.  Anyway, is this just taking forever to heal or what?  Normal?</p>

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
<p>I know exactly what this is!! Two of my kids had it ironically because it's kinda rare....it's an umbilical granuloma. Thankfully, it's got an easy fix. Take him/her to your pediatrician and they will put silver nitrate on it. It is painless and it will "shrink" the granuloma. My 3 month old dd had this happen just recently, and it only took one trip to the Ped. Hers umbilical cord also took a long to fall off....almost a month! My now 8 year old ds had to go back in for another swab of silver nitrate when he was a babe for the same thing.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Good luck!</p>

·
Registered
178 Posts
<p>I remember when my LO's fell off it still looked a little gooey and gross. It was yellow also! I was so concerned and I was sure she would have a horrible looking belly button or an outie.  But it healed on it's own and she now has a cute little belly button.  Eventually it just dried up on it's own.  I did try to clean it sometimes but for the most part I just let it be.  :)</p>

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
<p>Same here.. the midwives just said to give it time to heal. Silver NItrate would just be for possible infection I think...</p>

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
<p>The silver nitrate is for the "bright pink" part that the OP is talking about. It isn't for infection neccessarily, but it turns it greyish, and then it falls off too. Gooey and not smelling is perfectly fine. But, bright pink ball inside the belly button accompanied by gooey other balls is the first sign of an umbilical granuloma. It isn't common, so most people have never heard of it or even seen it. It's just wierd and rare that 2 of my 3 kids had it....</p>

·
Registered
465 Posts
<p>I agree with Parker'smommy. It sounds like an umbilical granuloma. My DD2 also had one. Her ped put silver nitrate on it and it healed just fine. Have her ped check it out.</p>

1 - 6 of 6 Posts