Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I am scheduled to do a core needle biopsy on my left breast in a few weeks...most likely it is a fibroadenoma and benign. I am breastfeeding my 3 month old and I wanted to know how safe is it to do this procedure will it harm the milk, and will I get an infection as a result? Has anyone done this procedure while breastfeeding. Will they hit a milk duct which will result in an infection.

I need some answers and help.

Thanks

Ummy

·
Registered
7,295 Posts
I had this done while I was about 37 weeks pregnant. The inconvenience of this procedure will depend a lot upon where the sample is taken, but it'll probably be annoying no matter what. Mine was near my nipple, and I think I would have had to nurse one sided because of it. You might prepare for the possibility of having to pump from that side.

When I had it done, he was about to go "across" the breast (think from shoulder to shoulder, direction) but then stopped and took if from the top down (chin to ground direction) saying that doing this would minimize the chance of glancing a duct; he was drawing the sample in a direction parellel to the direction of the ducts instead of crossing through them. You might ask about that. From my understanding, it's a pretty real risk that they might hit a duct. I'm not sure what would happen then. Probably antibiotics? I'm not sure.

I'm sorry you're going through this. I was pretty worried about it, being preggo and all. Having a new baby would also make it worrysome. But, at the same time, being preggo and having a new baby almost lend themselves to this situation due to all of the hormone changes, the ductal activity, etc. I'm sure it will be nothing.

Hugs

·
Registered
41 Posts
I had the biopsy done when Unity was about 6 months old. A lymphnode had gottten really big & hard & stayed big. Unity was in the room with me screaming the whole time. I nursed her before - to empty the breast. then they injected some anesthesia into my breast. then thehollow needle, There was an ultrasound machine helping to let the doctor guide the needle, they removed a bit of tissue & put it into a cup. They test it & results are usually in within a week.Mine turned oud to be only lymph tissue.

We nursed immediatly after & alot on the side the biopsy was done on. Unity had a little diarreah(sp) after, I cant tell weather it was because of it, or something else. My whole breast was really sore for days afterwards.

I did get Mastitis (again- I've had it like 5 times total during our nursing realtionship- it think that is was contributed to needing the needle biopsy). I have never taken antibiotics for it - cured it

We are still nursing, Unity is 23 months old. Nurse often after & make sure to take it easy, get lots of fluid, boost up on antioxidants, ect
Ummy said:
Hi

I saw your reply in regards to the core needle biopsy which you said you had done while nursing. I am scheduled in 2 weeks and I am nursing my 3 month old...can you tell me more about the procedure and if you continued nursing after it? Did it hurt and did you get any infection?

Hopefully your lump was benign which I am hoping the same...

Thanks I appreciate your kind help

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.