Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm needing ideas and recipes that are corn free. Our little guy age 5 just has been diagnosed having a corn allergy.

Long term I'm looking for a good lifestyle diet for him but for now anything that is a quick fix that will keep him fed for the next week or two until I can really start "a plan" is totally okay with me.

other foods on his don't eat list are
oats
walnut
peanut
strawberry
coconut (??all palms)
cantaloupe (which I'm thinking is all gourds)
orange, grapefruit (also thinking all citrus)

He needs to limit
wheat
pecan
brewer's yeast
banana

·
Registered
10,747 Posts
On the allergy forum, there is a recipes sticky on top that has ideas. I have some on my blog, but we can eat cantaloupe and coconut (so I use coconut yogurt and palm shortening alot). But if you can have dairy, then you could just put dairy back in.

DS, DD2 and I are all corn (and dairy, soy, gluten) free, among some other things. And my kids can't have oats either. DD2 can't have strawberry or banana. DS can't have citrus. DS can't have almond. Etc. We don't have a meal plan per se. But we are on a rotation diet, so I go back and forth with the safe dishes we do have. And we do baked good as well.

Sea salt instead of iodized salt
Trader Joes makes confectioners sugar with tapioca instead of cornstarch.
We use sweet potato starch or tapioca starch instead of cornstarch.
Millet flour is a good substitute for cornmeal (it's what I was using for English muffins before we took out gluten as well).
baking powder is equal parts tapioca starch, baking soda, and Cream of Tartar.
I haven't found a safe ham yet (they all have maltodextrin in them as far as I can tell).
Some deli meats are safe (but you may have to worry about cross contamination unless you go first thing before the slicers are used for other things)
Some people are so sensitive that they have to use only pasture fed meats (they react to the corn in regular animal's diets).
Citric Acid is almost always made from corn in the USA. I have found a couple of jams/jellies that don't have it, but they're few and far between.
What kind of ideas are you looking for?

My kids eat Cream of Rice cereal, Hot Buckwheat cereal, Rice Chex, Crispy Rice cereal. We make pretty much everything from scratch otherwise.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
right now I'm trying to think of more things for breakfast lunch and dinner than mashed potatoes

I'll go check out the sticky in the allergy section and see what all is there, right now I'm trying to figure out what all the corn derived ingredients are, when it's obvious such as corn meal or corn starch I know okay not that food but the other things that come from corn but don't say 'corn' I'm having to look up every ingredient.

I printed a list off the cornallergens website http://www.cornallergens.com/list/co...ergen-list.php and that is helping me but it's scary because everything in my cabinet seems to have something in it on that list

·
Registered
10,747 Posts
yeah, it's in a lot of prepared foods, but there's still plenty to eat without it. My blog is searchable by allergen.

Breakfast: eggs (we cook in coconut oil, but if you can have dairy, then by all means use butter), we get bacon, Canadian bacon and sausage from a local smokehouse. We also make buckwheat waffles and millet pancakes (my son loves them but I think they're too gritty), we've also made scones and muffins but I don't make them as often. sweet potato/bacon hash.

Lunch: wrap things in lettuce leaves. We do canned salmon, fruits and vegetables. Black olives. curried chickpeas (my 8yo son makes this/eats this all the time, believe it or not). puffed millet cereal (as a snack). hamburger or ground turkey patty (cut up). I put fried bacon,mushrooms and onions on mine (because I want to clog my arteries as quickly as possible
).

Dinner: noodles (rice, buckwheat, or sweet potato) with meatsauce (tomato paste is the only thing I've found without added citric acid, so I do a small can of tomato paste + 2 1/2 cans of water, to get the consistency of tomato sauce, and saute the other stuff first, then put in sauce and seasonings and simmer). swedish meatballs over rice, chicken marsala, chicken mirabella, chicken soup, baked sweet potatoes, sweet potato fries, roasted root vegetables... Just made beef burgundy on Saturday night that was really good (didn't have access to computer, so made up the recipe all over again, and used mostly grape juice).

·
Registered
10,747 Posts
I've been in that overwhelmed place. That's why I started the blog. To help other people make sense of it all. I used to think soy was the hardest to avoid, until I got to corn...

Cape Cod potato chips are good for a snack (my go-to snack these days besides rice cakes with peanut butter and raw honey)

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
Breakfast: eggs (hard-boiled, scrambled, fried, etc.), hot cereal with frozen fruit, cold cereal with rice milk, bacon, homemade sausage (you can toss some pork into a food processor with spices for instant ground sausage), gf pancakes (lots of recipes online or in the allergy sticky), hashbrowns, potato pancakes

Lunch: rice pasta (Tinkyada or Trader Joes) with sauce and/or olive oil, meatballs, hamburger patties, Applegate Farms hot dogs occasionally (find the ones with NO lactic acid starter culture and sodium lactate made from beets), rice, dinner leftovers, soups, all kinds of beans, little patties made of beans, veggies and rice. . .

Dinner: Same stuff as lunch
or protein (beef, pork, chicken, fish, beans/lentils) + veggie (we like roasted vegetables best) + starch (rice pasta, rice, millet, quinoa, potatoes). Other ideas: stir-fry, chili, spaghetti and meatballs, legumes and rice. For variety, think about different ethnic cuisines: Thai, Italian, Mexican, Indian, etc.

·
Registered
10,747 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by lightheart View Post
cheese? any suggestions?
If you can do dairy, then just look at the ingredients. It seems like you should be able to have things like fresh mozzarella. The shredded mozzarella I have in the freezer has potato starch and corn starch in it (probably to keep it from sticking) so that's out. But since those of us who can't do corn, can't do dairy either, I haven't looked at ingredients for cheeses. I did buy real mozzarella at Whole Foods (from water buffalo milk) and that one didn't have corn because I was testing DD2 on it and she can't have corn. There was a water buffalo milk butter there too, which we tried her on (she couldn't have either of them but it was because of the milk, not corn). So I'd look for cheeses, especially small manufacturers, who are more likely to use organic stuff.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.