Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my babies seems to be suffering from a formelik/hindmilk imbalance. Her last three or four poops were green, so it's been at least 2 weeks that we've been dealing with this. Her weight gain has already suffered a bit (last week, she only gained 2.8 ounces) and I'm concerned.<br><br>
I am not so surprised that this happened, since she is still not quite an expert at nursing-- she nurses but falls asleep too easily and doesn't respond to <i>any</i> measures I take to wake her up/keep her awake.<br><br>
What are my options? Should I pump the first ounce or so of milk before I nurse her, to ensure she gets enough hindmilk? Should I start nursing the babies on the same boob all day (right now, we switch breasts at every feeding, so R gets rightie and A gets lefty and then the next feeding, A gets rightie and R gets lefty)? Any advice?<br><br>
And what else, besides slow weight gain, are concerns about fm/hm imbalance? Remember, A is still tiny-- just over 7 pounds at two months old, and I am concerned about her health.<br><br>
We are also using a nipple shield with her, we have been since she was a few days old and are trying to wean from it, but things aren't going all that great with it... could the nipple shield be contributing to this problem?

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Wow, you really have your hands full!<br>
Are you working with a IBCLC? I ask because if you've got peds following the baby's weight gain, an IBCLC might be a lot more practical help than the peds, however supportive they may be about BF.<br><br>
Re your question about the the foremilk/hindmilk imbalance,<br>
I don't know how practical the standard advice of keeping baby on one breast for more than one feed is for moms nursing twins. I wonder if you'd get rather lopsided if you have one twin nursing a lot more than the other. Hopefully some twin experts can advise more about that.<br><br>
Is A gassy? That's also a sign of too much foremilk.<br><br>
My dd was such a sleepy one the first 2 months - we had the green poops and slow weight gain also. Re slow weight gain, read:<br><a href="http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/weight-gain_increase.html" target="_blank">http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns..._increase.html</a><br><br>
I did breast compressions to help keep her awake and drinking. Plus lots of other measures to keep her awake long enough to feed well - undressing her to her diaper, wet washcloth, baby situps (support her head and sit her up, then back down, then up...) and if all else failed, sometimes just putting her down and the shock I guess of not being held anymore woke her up. Also keeping her near me with easy access to the breast, like if it was in front of her, she could smell it , she might get enticed to nurse more. Cosleeping helps - can you cosleep with baby A?<br><br>
My dd nursed little but frequently. Does your baby A have a different nursing pattern than baby R? If baby A is smaller, her tummy is also correspondingly smaller and she might need smaller, more frequent feeds than her twin.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
bump<br><br>
maybe not enough twin mommies visiting here? you might try posting this in Parenting Multiples also. Perhaps retitle it as Poor Weight Gain in One Twin might get more attention.

·
Premium Member
2,002 Posts
On of my friends has twins, and she keeps them on the same breat from moring to night, then switches at night. It helps her keep track, and helps with the foremilk/ hindmilk thing.<br><br>
Good luck, you are doing such a wonderful thing for them!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts