Mothering Forum banner
501 - 510 of 510 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
I would think that doctors would start to question things like acetaminophen with all of the liver problems and transplants being done. Yes, people drink and alcohol is a huge offender, but drugs get filtered through the liver too.

Over use of antibiotics have been a problem for over 50 years that I know of, and little has been done to curb its uses.
I think primaries maybe. Other specialties don't get across those liver issues as much. Eg obgyns and hospital based midwives recommend Tylenol in pregnancy as only safe choice. The research that it's tied to higher incidence of autism is blatantly ignored. My EU home country doesn't sell more than small packages (-25ish) of paracetamol (Tylenol=acetaminophen=paracetamol) in pharmacies to avoid overdosing. At least in my country they were very strict about not overusing Tylenol and you were told not to. Pediatricians recommend a tepid bath before doing any meds or cold wet wash cloths on the calves. When I say that Herr doctors think I'm crazy. So somehow Americans doctors think Tylenol is harmless candy.

·
Registered
25,006 Posts
The FDA and CDC have know about the toxicity of acetaminophen for decades and done nothing to safely regulate it.
When I took my daughter trick or treating for her first Halloween in the early 80s, NO ONE gave out candy because of the Tylenol scare one month before. That was 40 years ago next month. Tylenol Toxicity

Dr Mendelsohn was threatened with a lawsuit when he suggested that the cyanide found in the Tylenol in the early 1980s was a manufacturing problem - he said it was part of the process - who knows? It has not happened since, supposedly.

And just look at how easily people are scared by health concerns!

·
Registered
439 Posts
When I took my daughter trick or treating for her first Halloween in the early 80s, NO ONE gave out candy because of the Tylenol scare one month before. That was 40 years ago next month. Tylenol Toxicity

Dr Mendelsohn was threatened with a lawsuit when he suggested that the cyanide found in the Tylenol in the early 1980s was a manufacturing problem - he said it was part of the process - who knows? It has not happened since, supposedly.

And just look at how easily people are scared by health concerns!
I was very young when that happened, but I remember being terrified by it. I remember being at my grandparents' house and the news was on the tv. I'm sure I wasn't watching (I was way too young to be interested in the news), but I started paying attention when the newscaster reported that a mother who had taken a Tylenol for a headache was found dead from cyanide poisoning an hour later. I was at that age in brain development where you start to realize that there is a world outside your home and family, and suddenly that world seemed like such a scary and unpredictable place to me. I remember wondering,"What if something like that happened to my mom?"

Suddenly manufacturers started putting safety seals on products, but I, too, have always wondered if the cyanide was from an adulterated ingredient or a mistake in manufacturing. Although, I just read up on the poisonings, and all the adulterated bottles that led to deaths were purchased in the Chicago area. There was a huge, nationwide recall, and I'm assuming other bottles/batches were tested. There was a theory a while ago attempting to make a case that the Unabomber guy was behind it. The FBI was looking into it, and supposedly got a DNA sample from him, but then dropped the investigation.

Anyhow, long story short - the Tylenol/cyanide poisonings made a huge impression on me, and helped shape my worldview from a very young age.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
Poisoning all around.....WHY are we so worried about covid when so many other things cause death....SMH

Synthetic chemicals called phthalates, found in hundreds of consumer products such as food storage containers, shampoo, makeup, perfume and children's toys, may contribute to some 91,000 to 107,000 premature deaths a year among people ages 55 to 64 in the United States, a new study found.
Prior research has connected phthalates with reproductive problems, such as genital malformations and undescended testes in baby boys and lower sperm counts and testosterone levels in adult males. Previous studies have also linked phthalates to childhood obesity, asthma, cardiovascular issues and cancer.
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0273230099912965

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
Food chemicals are nifty

No surprise there
No matter how careful you may be, the food you eat and the beverages you drink likely contain one or more of some 10,000 chemicals allowed to be added to foods -- some of which are known endocrine (hormone) disruptors linked to developmental, cognitive and other health problems in babies and adults.
Yet the agency charged with protecting our food from unsafe chemicals -- the US Food and Drug Administration -- hasn't been doing the job Congress intended when it passed the 1958 Food Additives Amendment, according to a citizen's petition filed Wednesday and provided exclusively to CNN in advance.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
But of course like we said -- explained away

Warning on Tylenol in Pregnancy No Cause for Alarm
— More research is needed, but the review should not alter clinical decision-making, experts say

·
Registered
242 Posts
😡 whenever I mentioned endocrine disrupters and the need to reduce that in our world (avoid plastic, avoid disposable diapers, etc) or when I mention Tylenol is bad American doctors roll their eyes at me and say it’s all harmless. 🤷‍♀️ it’s a lost cause.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Of course this is sort of around vaccines, but Merck is corrupt period. And the system that grants them exclusive monopolies in the US for their products (MMR, Varivax) and allows for such insane price gouging is corrupt as well.
This is just messed up:

Merck wants Americans to pay $712 for a Covid Drug That Taxpayers Helped Develop
The drug in question only costs $17.74 to produce. Unfortunately, this type of behavior is widespread in US pharma.
First, there’s the price point of drugs. It’s not merely that Americans are paying the world’s highest prices for pharmaceuticals, it’s that in many cases, we are paying prices that aren’t even close to what consumers in other countries pay.
A study from the National Academy of Sciences tells that story: the federal government spent $100bn to subsidize the research on every single one of the 200-plus drugs approved for sale in the United States between 2010 and 2016.
Because we the public invested early in these medicines, we reduced the R&D costs for pharmaceutical companies. Therefore, on the back end, the public should have received some sort of return in the form of affordable prices. After all, we took the initial risk, and we lowered the overhead costs that the drug companies might need to recoup through higher prices. In business terms, the public is the early venture investor in these products, and we deserve a share of the returns when the product proves valuable.
However, in the mid-1990s, that business axiom was tossed out when drug lobbyists persuaded the Clinton administration to repeal rules that allowed federal officials to require government-subsidized drugs to be offered to Americans at a “reasonable price”.

501 - 510 of 510 Posts