Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

Just looking for advice here to prepare for new babe due in November (can't figure out how to update my sig). Currently co-sleep with our 2yr old son, in a queen size bed, and are wondering how it will work once baby #2 arrives. Any suggestions/advice?

Do we need a bigger bed? It's already so tight w DS sleeping in every direction, and we're all really squashed, I don't know how another body will fit. Plus I'm concerned about napping and how that will happen with the baby. I nurse DS to sleep for his nap and at night. What can I do when I have the baby? When would I be able to leave them to sleep together alone? Seems silly, but these things are on my mind. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
389 Posts
We were in a simliar situation when #2 was born. DS was only 17 months at the time. We decided to keep ds in between us (we have a king) and purchase a co-sleeper to attach to the bed for dd. Of course, the co-sleeper just wasn't close enough for dd, so she ended up in bed next to me, with the co-sleeper serving as a fancy bed rail.

So, if you can swing it, I would upgrade to a king.

We now have another on the way in Feb. (DS will be 3 1/2 and dd will be a month short of 2). DOn't know how it will work yet, but we plan to put a queen in the other bedroom in case I need to move in there with the new babe (so he/she doesn't wake the other kids all night). Once the new baby has an established sleep pattern, we might try putting the other kids on little mattresses in our room, so that they can climb in with us when they need it.

It IS stressful at first, but you will figure out something that works for you, I promise.

·
Registered
5,813 Posts
Well when ds was around 17 months old, we got a second bed. He started sleeping through the night immediately, absolutely no intevening on my part. It was heaven to have room again and be able to personally sleep through the night.
Now we sleep on 2 kings...hopefully that will be enough for 4 people...

So basically my recommendation is to get another bed! It's great!

·
Banned
2,883 Posts
We had the same dilemma. My d21 (2yo) is only a part time Co-sleeper - he is welcome to start the night in either his bed or ours, and if he starts in his own, he usually ends up in ours. So when ds2 was born, we just took one side off of our crib (that my grandmother had bought for us and was hardly used, now I don't feel so guilty
) and made it into a "side car". Now ds1 usually sleeps in that, more or less. My head is usually in the crib, too. ds2 sleeps in my arms, because DH sleeps VERY soundly, and it makes me nervous. We have a queen, and I always feel like we have plenty of room.

It was definitly HARD at first, because ds2 was getting up a LOT and he was so little and new so he couldn't just latch on and fall asleep. It was a little more of a production, one that sometimes involved turning the bedside lamp on. Now, its very easy, he just finds the boob (I sleep topless) and I hardly wake up, but the first couple weeks were a little hard.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
We just got DD (age 22 months) her own bed (a twin). It is in the room right across the hall from our bedroom. She can see our bed from her bed. So far it is going great, and she sleeps through without waking, and no fussing.

We were planning on letting her come into our bed when she woke up during the night, but that hasn't happened yet!

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Ds1 was 2.5 when ds2 was born, and at the time, we thought he'd never leave our bed.
We put a twin that was the same height as our bed flush with ours, making one really big bed, so that we all fit. I was just careful to keep the littlest away from the slight crack in between the mattresses. THis worked for us for a long time.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
For a long time after we had our new baby we had our 2yo DS on a toddler bed matress (aka crib matress) on the floor next to our bed. I would get out of my bed at night to night nurse him. Sometimes he would come up in our bed, which was tight, but we did it. Those little matresses are really not the best for holding an adult and a toddler. For awhile I had a bunch of quilts folded up next to it to make space for me.

This summer we decided to nightwean DS, so my 10mo DD and I have been sleeping on the futon in another room. DS has been spending more of the night in "daddy bed" and less time in his little bed (Though when I nurse him after story time and before lights out, he still wants to nurse in his bed. Then he moves to the big bed).

Right now my DP is away in Canada so I have both kids at night. Once DS is situated in the big bed (the neighbors watch my baby DD whle I get him to bed), I bring my baby into the toddler matress on the floor. She has been sleeping down there all night. I go down to nurse her when she cries, but I sleep up in the big bed with DS. The wall is in onone side of her and there are rolled blakets between her andout platform bed on the other side.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts