Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need help thinking about cosleeping and pets! Our daughter (10) was born before we had our cat and dog, and we just all slept in our bed, then with a sidecar as she got bigger. Our dog is not "allowed" to sleep on our bed, but my husband lets her when I'm not home! :) But our cat usually does! I'm wondering if we should have a more contained space (like a crib--which we literally didn't own last time) for naps and the first part of the night when baby is sleeping before we're in bed. I'm just worried about the dog and cat being their naturally curious selves, and waking the baby when I'm not right there to supervise! Any tips?

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Depends on many factors to me. We let well over 100 pounds of dog sleep on the bed but when baby arrived we didn't continue. We got the dogs used to that before baby so they wouldn't connect baby with the loss of privileges. We bought them new comfortable beds (they already had some but we really wanted to give them lots of options). Turns out they were fine with just the couches (so we moved the beds to the couches, which they sometimes knock off, sometimes don't). We also have a cat who sleeps on faces. The cat didn't always sleep with us and has many soft beds, heated beds, etc all over the house. So that obviously wasn't safe for the times the cat chose to sleep on neck/faces and the cat adored the baby at all times and really wanted to cuddle and sleep all over baby. We kept the cat away from the baby when baby was sleeping when we were sleeping or for naps but they still grew up best of friends.

·
Registered
436 Posts
We're planning on a babygate for naps and first part of the night sleeping to keep the dogs out. Our cat has been through one baby and will sleep just above people's heads (and prefers having a pillow) rather than ON faces so I'm not fussed about her, although of course I'll check on things.

Great idea about shutting the dogs out before the baby arrives.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts