Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone has experience with cosleeping with a baby of this age? She has been sleeping on her daddy's tummy since birth but we know that she will be getting to big to sleep this way soon. She has never been able to sleep on her back and either screams the minute she is placed on her back or rolls herself over to her side and then eventually her tummy. During daytime naps when I sleep with her or read in the bed with her she sleeps on her side with a blanket behind her so that she can not land fully on her back if she rolls that direction or on her tummy. I have been ok with this because she started rolling to her side the night she was born and i figured if she could postion herself that way it wouldnt be a problem. But now I am begining to try and figure out how she will sleep when she is too big for daddies tummy. She is really only happy at least 95% of the time when she is on her tummy wether she struggles to roll herself that way or is placed that way. I wondered if anyone knew how safe it is for a baby to cosleep on there tummy and wether anyone has done so. And if anyone has any other ideas. We have been struggling to get her to sleep in a little bassinett (she is fighting it all the way)we have but only plan on using it for planned tent camping trips in the rocky mountains.

·
Premium Member
2,811 Posts
DS has slept on his tummy since 2 weeks old and co-slept with us until he was 2 months old (he's now in a crib in our room). He wouldn't sleep any other way, and I got sick of trying to force him to sleep any other way.

Co-Sleeping can really reduce the risk of SIDS for many reasons, and I believe there are factors that contribute to SIDS other than just putting a baby on it's stomach. Co-sleeping helps reduce many of those risks. I'll let someone else post more info and stuff...none of my links are working right now
:

·
Registered
588 Posts
My DD is exactly the same age and is also a tummy sleeper. I have stopped fighting it because she really won't sleep and other way and she sleeps so well when she is on her tummy. DD falls asleep in my bed but I move her to the Arms Reach cosleeper. She usually sleeps until about 3 or 4 am and when she wakes up I leave her in bed with me. I admit that her sleeping on her tummy in my bed makes me more nervous than when she is in her crib because my bed is softer and the bottom sheet always seem a bit loose.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
If she can get herself into that position, then she's fine. One of the main concern with SIDS (and one of the reasons that cosleeping lessens the risk) is that very young babies can 'forget' how to breathe. Their ability to properly regulate this tends to go hand-in-hand with their ability to roll from back to tummy.

Just make sure there's not fluffy bedding or pillows or such near her head. Even if her face is turned startlingly close to the mattress, chances are she can breathe just fine--that's how they can breathe with mama's breast right up against their nose. Put her down for a nap in your bed, and go look at her once she's rolled on to her tummy. Sit in there with her if it makes you feel better, so you can watch. Chances are you'll see that she manages to maintain some clearance. I know the way my Esther sleeps with her face seemingly flat against the mattress, but when I take a close look, I can see that her face is turned just slightly enough that she can breathe easily.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.