Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dd just got diagnosed with mild GER and we are sharing our bed and was wondering how to position her at night, since she lies next to me and we have this nice arrangement where no one really has to wake up. She just finds me and nurses till she is confortable again. Well now I have to find a way to keep her slightly elevated during the night to avoid coughing and still be able to get some sleep. Any ideas?

·
Registered
8 Posts
We used two different techniques:
a) Ds slept on my chest or Dh's shoulder. Immed. after his diagnosis these were the only two places he slept comfortably.
b) I used a sleep positioner that was a foam wedge shaped base, and two little side arm things. Its like a cheese wedge with rolls. The sides velcroed on and could be moved as he grew. I laid him on this next to me in the bed. He would slide down a bit through the night ,but I was getting up to feed him in a chair anyhow. The wedge kept him at least slightly elevated all night.

Now at 4.5 mo (2.5mo post-ger diagnosis) he's okay sleeping flat most of the night. Or rather, our bed sinks a little and lay him so his head is on the higher part. But he's also back to sleeping on Dh's shoulder a lot too.

(Valian who just noticed she is posting under Dh's handle--whoops).

·
Premium Member
2,287 Posts
You could try elevating the whole bed/mattress so all of you are sleeping on an incline. Dd2 also has reflux, but she needs to sleep inclined the full 30 degress that is recommended so she sleeps in an AR pillow in the cosleeper.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool thanks everyone, I will check everything out and keep you updated..

·
Registered
591 Posts
When my dd's were tiny one or the other would sleep on my chest with me inclined with pillows (other one in co-sleeper with towels under matress). As they got too big for me to have on my chest I still slept on the incline but with one dd between my legs leaning against me.

Once they could move around in the co-sleeper, the incline didn't make any difference because they would wind up up-side down. Whomever was having the roughest night would be with me and the other laying flat.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I used to let DS sleep with me holding him, and his head on my pillow. It worked. He had GER as well and, honestly, there were some nights, we didn't sleep at all. Thank the God and Goddess for Zantac. We're not much for pharmaceuticals, but Zantac saved my sanity.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I found out that she had a mild case which didnt require meds yet. The rest of it was misdiagnosed(or so they say). She had a chest cold with drainage in her throat which caused the coughing and red throat. She still needs the upright positioning, and we have to hold off the baby food till she is rid of the cough(which they think will clear within a few days).
Other than that-we tried a few new positions. She seems to like her boppy pillow a lot, so she has been sleeping on that. It has a little pull out belt which keeps her secure enough to prevent silding down flat, so I guess whatever works right?

We still have a peds appointment to check her out more this week(cause the emergency docs tried but had no idea what to do)
So far the tummy soothers and otc homeopathic cough syrup seems to be mildly helping. Guess that will have to do till we can see her ped.
Once again...
I will keep everyone updated on the final word of her doc. Thanks so much for the support...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.