Mothering Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Mamas,<br><br>
I hope you can help me out. I am going to be taking care of a friend's baby full-time (40+ hours a week) starting in the fall. I am trying to figure out how much to charge, considering that I will have my own baby (of the same age) with me all the time, and my two older kids with me for about one hour a day while my friend's baby is there. I will be doing it at my house, so I won't be doing any housekeeping/laundry for my friend (I know I used to work that into my salary when I was a nanny before I had kids).<br><br>
I'd really LIKE to make at least $800/month. That would be about $200/week (well, slightly less since there are slightly more than 4 weeks in a month). Since consistency of funds is pretty critical, I'd like to be paid $800/month regardless of how many days my friend leaves her baby with me (my friend is a teacher, so sometimes she'll have a week-long vacation). I, personally, don't need to take any vacations.<br><br>
I have no idea how much child care in this area generally costs, and I want to make sure that what I'm asking is reasonable before I propose it to my friend.<br><br>
TIA!<br><br>
Lex

·
Registered
239 Posts
Hi Lexbeach,<br><br>
In terms of dollar amounts, I'm not sure, but I have a friend who is new to childcare too (and she's a teacher) and her provider gets paid whether it's school vacation or my friend takes a sick day or... so even during school vacation, they may leave their ds in daycare 3 of the 5 days because they're paying for it anyway.<br><br>
This provider is in the Attleboro, MA area and they're paying $5.25/hr, I think (I babysat for their ds a few times, for just a few hours and they quoted me that price because it was what they pay their regular daycare lady).<br><br>
Good luck!

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
I've been looking into home based daycares in north central Mass. and generally they seem to charge $35-40 a day for full time care. So $200 a week is pretty much top end around here.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I"m in Newport, I think everything costs more here! But in home child care is about $30 a day on average and the daycare centers are about $50, that's for an almost 1 yr old. I watched an infant(4months) for a friend and started off only charging $24 a day and felt really overwhelmed and under paid, we're not friends anymore cause i told her I needed more and she got mad cause she thought she'd be getting a deal from me! So because of that I really wish I would have told her from the start that I needed $30 a day, any less isn't enough!<br>
HTH!

·
Registered
608 Posts
I think it sounds fine- although you will prob have some troubles when you, or she gets sick/ go on vacation. I think you might have better luck just charging a base amount every day for an agreed amount of time and then extra for additional hours. You could ask for the money up front every week and that way have it in your pocket. I think home care is totally different than daycare, and should reflect a living wage.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I live in the Berkshires. I work outside of the home 2 days per week- we have a woman who comes to the house to watch my son (now 7 1/2 months old, starting from when he was 4 months old). We pay her $125 per day-- and it is a 9-10 hour day. So even though you aren't going to her house and you have your kids as well, I still think you should be getting at LEAST $200/week.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I've heard people in the central Mass/ metrowest suburbs charging between $8 - $12 per hr for inhome care. We pay $260 wkly for FT pre-school, but consider there is a 10 to 1 ratio at that age (though many times there is a second teacher there). So, I'd say $200 wkly for a very low ratio is a bargain.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts