Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always been drawn to cottages, the kind that you see in UK period films. Rose arbors, rounded doors with multi paned windows, rock walls and abundant gardens, they all appeal to me. Are there any cottage mamas on MDC?I have a few questions, like how did you find your home?

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
Me too!! I love welcoming homes and gardens. I just found a Cottage magazine that had some great pictures. As far as my own home, we were in a small cape that we did alot of work to, and looked like a beautifull cottage in the end.

We upgraded to a slightly larger house with a much bigger yard, and a better neighborhood. One of the things on my new house list, besides an older-cottage type house, was a yard with a good spot for a south facing sunny garden. My husband thought it was odd, but didnt mind. At my old house I was able to get a nice garden, but with no exposure for a sun garden, I didnt get to plant alot of the plants I imagine in my english garden.

As far as our new house, we spent alot of time looking for the right neighborhood. Then we would drive around and see what was for sale in those areas. I remember turning the corner and seeing this house. I was in love, but thought no way could we afford it. Turns out it needed alot of work inside (witch we are in the process of doing) so it was a good price for us.

I am itching for spring! I am working on all kinds of garden plans. I hope to move the driveway, and put in a stone wall. That will most likely have to wait until next summer though. But I suppose just starting the garden, along with all the inteior work, oh, and raising children too, will keep me buzy enough!

Are you looking for a home now?

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I would love to live in that kind of place, particularly with the gardens! We have a wonderful southern exposure and every spring I get so excited about planting things and every spring my neighbor laughs at my definition of "partial shade" because once the walnut tree hovering over my yard leafs, I've got nothing but total shade. Blah. Searching for good neighborhoods does seem like a good way to go but I always wonder if there are sources for more unique houses than what you see on realtor.com...

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
I can relate to your partial shade problem. That was my last garden, I tried so hard to get in as much partial shade plants as possible, hoping they would take in my basically "full shade" location.

The shade is so great for the kids, cool and no sunburns, but is sure is a chalenge for a garden!

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mich View Post
Are you looking for a home now?
Forgive the delay, I've been working like a mad woman.

Looking yes, but ready to purchase.. alas no. I purchased a home 2 yrs ago. It was a great deal and a money maker, just needing cosmetic updates.

Recently, I have been on a pilgramage to ME. Letting go of the garbage of the past and searching for myself. I was married for many years and then involved in a very disfunctional relationship. It is only now, at 36, that I am beginning to discover who and what I am. They say that your home is a direct representation of ourselves. As I begin to explore myself, an image of a stone cottage lurks in my mind.

Gardening, oh yes. The raised beds are prepped and waiting on herbs. I have recently had a trellis installed and now I am browsing David Austin catalogs for the right climbing rose.

·
Registered
7,110 Posts
I want a David Austin Rose this year..... I am a newbie cottage gardener. I have a 1950's brick ranch that I envision looking like a cottage with the right flowers and landscaping.....
Emilie

·
Registered
8,198 Posts
I bought an stone English farmhouse. It's not quite the one-story cottage that I imagine you're looking for, but it has the same kind of look and feel.

Unfortunately, my mother was unable to support herself and we had to make some changes to the house in order to fit her in. Plus I got married and dh is not as enamored with (now our) house, so it doesn't get the TLC from him that it did from me pre-baby. It looks less like the English farmhouses of Thomas Kincade now. I still love it, though.

I basically just kept looking (on my own, without a realtor) for homes built prior to 1940. After 1940, few of these types of homes were built after that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.