Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had severe preeclampsia with my first child and had an emergency cs at 30 weeks. He is 5 and doing great now. Last year, my daughter was stillborn at about 29w. We discovered she had died at a routine prenatal visit, when they hooked me up to a monitor after my BP had elevated and there was 3+ protein on the strip. I had no swelling, in fact had lost weight since my last appt 4 weeks earlier. After she was born, we discovered that she had died from a cord injury, a double twist right where her belly button would have been, about a week prior. There were no abruptions, and the placenta was in good shape, except for being old. The cord was swollen on the placental side and had some hemmorraging there as well, on the short side of normal. She was good size, 2 lb 6.9 oz, at an ega of 28w.

One of the nurses mentioned that it was possible for the interruption in circulation to have caused my BP to raise and protein to have spilled. My first pg, I had BP problems the whole time, and really was not well the most of the time. I was swollen up like a balloon and had a much worse time of it overall, steady increases in BP meds to keep it controlled the whole time. With the second pg, I felt good, and other than some ms, had no problems. My chronic borderline HBP was well controlled with very little med, in fact low to low normal until the last visit, with a second trimester dip. I know that PE can sneak up on you and doesn't always present the same way, but I really felt "different" the second time. In hindsight, I began to feel lousy within a few hours of when she died. For what it's worth, I ate a high protein, mostly veg diet with both pg, although I was better about the protein the 2nd time.

Would any of you wise women have any thoughts to the possibility that a problem with circulation could have caused PE symptoms? Thank you for reading and any thoughts you might have.

edited for spelling

·
Registered
402 Posts
First, let me say that I am sorry for your loss. We lost our son, Benny, on March 12, 1999 due to a true (double) knot in his cord - his knot was about 3" away from his belly - @ 29wks. We also discovered that he had died at a routine OB appt.

Quote:
Last year, my daughter was stillborn at about 29w. We discovered she had died at a routine prenatal visit, when they hooked me up to a monitor after my BP had elevated and there was 3+ protein on the strip. I had no swelling, in fact had lost weight since my last appt 4 weeks earlier. After she was born, we discovered that she had died from a cord injury, a double twist right where her belly button would have been, about a week prior. There were no abruptions, and the placenta was in good shape, except for being old. The cord was swollen on the placental side and had some hemmorraging there as well, on the short side of normal. She was good size, 2 lb 6.9 oz, at an ega of 28w.
From my understanding, cord accidents are more of a fluke thing and are not cause by other symptoms. Now, I'm just going on what I was told from our situation. I had a completely normal and healthy pregnancy with the baby we lost. Probably my most normal and healthy as far a "pregnancy" time.

Quote:
One of the nurses mentioned that it was possible for the interruption in circulation to have caused my BP to raise and protein to have spilled. My first pg, I had BP problems the whole time, and really was not well the most of the time. I was swollen up like a balloon and had a much worse time of it overall, steady increases in BP meds to keep it controlled the whole time. With the second pg, I felt good, and other than some ms, had no problems. My chronic borderline HBP was well controlled with very little med, in fact low to low normal until the last visit, with a second trimester dip. I know that PE can sneak up on you and doesn't always present the same way, but I really felt "different" the second time. In hindsight, I began to feel lousy within a few hours of when she died. For what it's worth, I ate a high protein, mostly veg diet with both pg, although I was better about the protein the 2nd time.

Would any of you wise women have any thoughts to the possibility that a problem with circulation could have caused PE symptoms? Thank you for reading and any thoughts you might have.
This pregnancy I have developed PIH - Pregnancy Induced Hypertension - which is causing the aging placenta, high blood pressure and some slight spilling of protein, but I am not presenting any other kind of pre-eclampsia or toxemia symptoms. I have just started weekly BPPs (checking cord blood flow & baby's HB through sonograms), twice a week NSTs to watch the baby's activity level, and weekly 24hr urine analysis watching for protein spills.

I'm 28wks - this was my first week doing them weekly.

I don't know if circulation problems could cause pre-eclamsia. I think they would go hand in hand though like if you developing pre-eclamsia then you are probably having circulatory problems - like high blood pressure.

I wish I could be more help.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
pamamidwife,

thanks for the suggestion, I will post it there. The way I understood her explanation, was that circulatory problems contribute to HBP and PE, so that it was possible that a circulatory problem, ie the cord twist, could have caused my pressures to raise and protein to spill.

casmi,

I am sorry for your loss. My question was not so much if the PE could have caused the cord injury, which I know is a random thing, but if the cord injury could have produced symptoms in me that looked like PE because it inturrupted my circulation overall. It just strikes me odd with the absolute timing that they are not in some way related.

<I don't know if circulation problems could cause pre-eclamsia. I think they would go hand in hand though like if you developing pre-eclamsia then you are probably having circulatory problems - like high blood pressure.>

That is what I tend to think as well, which is why I wonder...

Thank you both for your thoughts

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.