Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 9.5 month old has all of a sudden cut the time of his nursing sessions by more than half. He's still nursing about every 3 hours like before, just the time he nurses has decreased.
We're down to about 2-3 minutes a side when before it would be anywhere from 5-15 (at the most) I know they can sometimes become more efficent eaters but to me it doesn't seem like he has.

He's also a big comfort nurser due to some painful digestive problems. He's having problems right now, so why he doesn't seem to be nursing more is really confusing me.

Because of his tummy problmes, we've cut solids completely for the time being, wouldn't that make him want to nurse more too?

He has MSPI (milk soy protein intolerance) so I'm trying my hardest to keep him nursing until at least a year/when he grows out of it. I really hope this isn't a sign of him wanting to stop.

Oh, he only gets a bottle about once a week so I know he's not having confusion because of that.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
6,388 Posts
i doubt that he's weaning. almost every mom i know, both in real life and here at MDC, has said that somewhere between 9-11 months their baby went through a phase of decreased nursing. it's a distractable age. you just keep offering to nurse and you will ride out this wave of decreased nursing.

·
Registered
5,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
colleen - yeah, I have and necklace the thing is that it distracts him enough that all he wants to do is play with it and not nurse!
: Thanks for the suggestion though.

Well, he's done a turn around, the last two days he wants to nurse every 2 hours!
: If it's not one thing it's another.....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.