Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DS is almost 4 weeks old (tomorrow) and has had a horrible raw rash on his bottom since about a week old. We have switched detergents for diapers, switched to plain water for wipes, tried using desitin, giving him lots of dry bottom air time and it just won't go away. It's in a streak all down his butt crack and all around his penis in a wide area where it's just like he had acid take off part of his skin almost! Could it be because of something that I'm eating, and if so, what?

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
I'd stop dairy... keep in mind it might take 2-4 weeks for you to see any results, unfortunately!<br><br>
Does the rash have little red spots around the edges of the redness? If so, it could be a yeast rash and you'll need some antifungal cream for it. Also, buildup in cloth diapers can cause a rash too, can you try sposies for a while and see if it improves? When I had buildup problems, that's what I did and it really helped...

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tried a couple disposibles a few days ago and it made it worse. I don't think it's a yeast rash... my middle daughter is prone to them so I'm used to seeing them and this doesn't look like one to me-- it's not blistering, just raw. :0/

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
i would cut out dairy and soy-those are the two biggest culprits, and yes, you have to give it a good month to see results. and you have to read labels-there is a ton of hidden dairy and soy in things.

·
Registered
642 Posts
agree with above about the diary. Also, change often, especially just after feeding since newborns tend to poop while nursing. Use a mild soap during changes to remove stool acids from the skin, plain water wont get it all off.<br><br>
One idea is to give a mini-bath each change by hanging baby's bottom over the edge of the sink and spraying off with warm water or using a peri-bottle with sudsy baby soap water to spray off the poop and rinse with running water. Keep a pile of towels on the bed for air-dry time. Use tons of protective barrier cream that doesn't have active absorbable ingredients, i like petroleum Jelly since the skin doesn't absorb it and it is cheap so you can use a lot.<br><br>
If you can't cut all dairy start with the fresh stuff like milk, sour cream, ice cream and yogurt. Cheese and butter have less milk proteins. You should see some improvement in a week, best results in 3-4 weeks.<br><br>
Then if not better look up some of the other allergy culprits like peanut, corn, wheat, citrus, soy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts