Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I noticed my right breast was slightly tender to pressure and a little mark that looks like a hickey above my nipple (figured ds missed during sleepy night nursing). Today my right breast has been engorged all day - I haven't had engorgement for months. Does this sound like mastitis? I don't feel feverish. What should I do to head it off, if so?

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Sounds like a clogged duct possibly. It could turn into mastitis of not unclogged.

I have had mastitis twice-once for an infection in my nipple from a crack ( I needed antibiotics) and the second time was from a clogged duct (did NOT need antibiotics, just nursed frequently and massaged lump, hot compress, etc..)

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Definitely- nurse lots, hot compresses, massaging, hot showers etc... and REST. That is the most important ingredient. A lot of mothers get plugged ducts/mastitis when they do too much.

If it doesn't go away and gets worse in 48 hours, antibiotics might be warranted.

Good luck- I hope you're better in no time!

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
It might just go away on it's own, but whenever you get a plugged duct you SHOULD pay attention to it.
Nurse your baby with nose/chin lined up with the duct to make sure it's getting emptied.
Massage in a downward motion (as though pushing the clog right out).
Lots of hot compresses, particularly during nursing or letdown.
Nurse often!

Plugged ducts are almost always innocent and go away easily. Sometimes they can not. If the spot ever feels really, really sharply sore, and you notice black spots - call the doc/midwife immediately and KEEP hot compresses on it as often as you possibly can.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.