Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if a CNM who is affiliated with a hospital would be willing to talk with me about my current pregnancy, even if I'm not her patient anymore. I'm in a different state now and have a new group of midwives that I'm not as comfortable with and I would love to talk to my old midwife. Wolud that be legal? Would it be pestering her? Would it be rude? What do you think?<br><br>
My old midwife was a generation older than my current ones and helped me deliver a 10-pound baby with mild shoulder dystocia without any drugs or stitches. My current providers are talking about early induction, and even though I've read the studies that say that you can't accurately predict birth weight and that induction isn't a good approach to suspected shoulder dystocia, I'm very worried.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
I don't know that it would be illegal, but whether or not it's rude is really up to how the midwife would feel about it. Professional time is valuable, and technically calling on her as a former patient is asking her to donate valuable time and taking advantage of her skills and expertise without reimbursing her for it, which is something that she receives from her current patients. Some midwives don't mind that, other (usually very busy ones) do. Use your own best judgment.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Besides reassurance what is the reason you want to call your previous midwife.<br>
We can all reassure you!!!<br><br>
If you want a professional second opinion, and phone consultation about your current pregnancy ask what her fee is for a consultation, that would be the respectful way to approach this phone call to her.<br><br>
Can you talk to your new midwives about your willingness to birth on all fours to do "The Gaskin Maneuver".<br><a href="http://www.thefarm.org/midwives/dystocia.html" target="_blank">http://www.thefarm.org/midwives/dystocia.html</a>

1 - 6 of 6 Posts