Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Premium Member
Joined
·
8,243 Posts
My kids are allergic to EVERYTHING. Food (reacted to minute traces of things in my breastmilk), dust mites, pollen, mold. The thing is, every single person reacts to each allergen differently. For instance, each of us (myself, ds, and dd) are allergic to eggs. I swell up...my eyes, nose, bronchioles. My daughter stops breathing, turns grey, and projectile vomits. My son gets horribly bloody eczema. Here's my point...you might not be able to figure out what's causing the reaction until you can get her tested. There ARE allergists around who will do tests on infants(mine included)but they are hard to find sometimes. Our allergist also TREATS infants with sublingual drops. This is not homeopathey. It is similar to allergy shots, but is much much less dangerous, and can treat food allergies in addition to the inhaled ones like dust mites, pollen and mold. YES, TREAT FOOD ALLERGIES. This method has been practiced for over 40 years with success (and repeted replicated studies to prove the success)in Europe. There aren't many doctors around who treat this way. Infact, we drive 8 hours each way to see our doctor. But, it makes a difference with NO unwanted side effects.

It might be one new thing you are eating that's bugging her. It might be one thing in her environment to which she has just built up an intolorance (such as dust mites). Or, it could be several things bombarding her little system that, alone, wouldn't bug her at all, but all stacked up they make her react. Start keeping the humidity in your house below 30% because dust mites thrive in humidity. Wash your sheets at least once a week in HOT HOT water (kills dust mites), and get new pillows every 6-12 months. If you have her outside, give her a bath (keeps pollen off of skin/hair). Use an air filter in the house and vaccuum with a hepa filter in the machine to catch extra dust,mold,or pollen that would otherwise be blown around. Stop wearing scents, or burning scented candles, etc. See if those things help...if not try eliminating common allergens from your diet (assuming you're nursing) and then reintroducing them one at a time. It didn't take us long at all to figure out my dd or ds's food allergies doing this...wasn't fun for momma to eat rice and potatoes for a couple of days straight, but we figured out the problems and it made life easier for all! Good luck.
 

· Premium Member
Joined
·
8,243 Posts
We can't use bleach because of chemical sensitivity, but we DO wash our pillows with the bedding every week (in super hot water). It's just that that helps to keep the dust mite poop (which is what the allergy is actually to in humans) from getting too irritating. After a while though, the dustmites multiply at such a rate that washing them doesn't help any more. There are dustmite proof pillows AND beds (we just found this out). TempurPedic is dustmite proof. Or so they claim! We can't afford to try it out yet, but it's in the five year plan.
There are COVERS that you can put on your mattress, spring, pillows, and comforters which make it less likely that the allergens will get through, but you're still supposed to wash and replace the pillows regularly. Also, yes, detergets were a huge allergen for dd. We switched to a vegetable based soap, and it made all the difference. We use ecover natural laundry wash and delicates wash for the diapers. For washing the house, I have simply switched to white vinegar for just about everything. Sometimes I use commercial grade baking soda to "scrub". I have asthma, too, and I have found this to be a huge improvement over the poisons they sell at the grocery store or target!
 
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top