Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have well water, and although we have an excellent softener, and I can't taste iron (after it has gone through the softener), I supposed there's still some in there. 3 month old DD has HORRIBLE HORRIBLE gas at night -- she squirms all night, and keeps me awake (she sleeps most of the time, but I can tell it's disturbing her sleep, as she is often really tired, and has dark circles under her eyes). I've been going on just a few hours of sleep/night for most of her life, and I'm really having a hard time with it. I've done the hard-core Sears elimination diet for longer than I care to admit (nothing but lamb, turkey, rice, potatoes, squash and pears -- after three months I'm 5 pounds BELOW my pre-pregnancy weight, which is just about the only advantage of that diet that I can think of, lol). Anyway, changes to my diet have made no improvement whatsoever. So I got to thinking -- what's the one thing I have day in and day out without fail? Water.

So all day yesterday I drank and cooked with distilled water (except forgot and cooked my squash in well water), and it did seem like she was somewhat better last night (although I half expect it was just a fluke, knowing my luck). But I was racking my brains trying to figure out what could be in our water (assuming that is the problem), and it dawned on me that iron (in vitamins, etc.) can cause gassiness and constipation.

So, do you guys think the iron that's found in well water could do the same thing? I'm an engineer, so I like to understand the why
. Again, assuming that this really is the problem. Please, please, please let it be the problem. It's such an easy one to fix

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I'm more convinced than ever. We had another good night last night, and her poops started looking normal today -- yellow and seedy. They have always been brown/green and super mucousy (and explosive). It's distilled water from here on out, baby!

Who woulda thunk???

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, maybe it isn't the iron, but I'm pretty sure it's something in the water. At least, I sure hope it is. Otherwise, we may go back to getting 2 hours of sleep at night
, and no naps for mom during the day (have to sit upright and hold dd in arms while she sleeps). An unsustainable situation ...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.