Mothering Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>So my daughter will go through these days where she'll barely eat.  I'll offer the breast quite frequently, but she'll arch and scream.  It seemed to be worse while out, better in the rocking chair, best in bed.  I thought maybe she was just sensitive to her surroundings or distractable, but some days she nurses better than others.  then I thought maybe she just isn't a very hungry girl (my first child was always nursing).  She's on the small side and her growth seems very slow. (a little over 11 pounds at over 3 months... first child was probably this size at 5-6 weeks.  However, I was small as a baby so she could be taking after me)</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Today has been pretty bad.  She's super fussy and hasn't really got in a super good feed.  Then it looked like brick dust in her diaper, though that was followed by a pretty normal looking pee in the potty, but I'm still worried about slight dehydration with the brick dust and minimal nursing.  She also has been really gassy.  Several times, I've put her on the floor and pushed her knees into her chest and she's had LOUD flatulence.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>She sleeps great, doesn't have any skin problems, no diaper rash...  She does look like she might have slight bags under her eyes.  Could it still be a food intolerance of some sort?  Oh, and I'm already dairy-free, mostly egg-free and vegetarian.  I don't eat soy daily, either.  I did have lots of pasta last night so the only thing I can think of is gluten.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>ETA:  She's already on probiotics (reuteri by nature's way, and sometimes culturelle).  Also, I just weighed her and she's 11lbs 3.5oz.  She WAS 11lbs 7oz maybe 5 days ago</p>

·
Registered
904 Posts
<p>Sounds like maybe reflux? My DD didn't have reflux, so I don't know much about it, but I thought the arching and screaming was supposed to be indicative of reflux.</p>

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<p>could be, but then my thought is, what's causing the reflux?  And why are some days so much worse than others?</p>

·
Registered
10,747 Posts
<p>have you tried keeping a food journal and seeing if there's a pattern to when she's fussing/arching vs. what you've been eating?</p>

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
<p>I keep meaning to do that, but off the top of my head, the past 3 times that I've noticed a difference in her as far as fussing and refusing to eat have been after I've had large amounts of wheat.  The other night we had pasta, about a week ago I had gnocci and she was fussy the next day, and a couple weeks ago she was really fussy and refused to eat after I had a bunch of cheese-less pizza.  The reason I remember this is because I thought it was dairy and a friend told me there was dairy in the pizza crust, so the next time she was fussy and I hadn't had any dairy, I had my parents dig the gnocci box out of their trash (we ate at their house) to see if it actually did have any dairy in it, which it didn't.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Today she seems a lot better so far.  I had pasta for lunch yesterday, but when I got to thinking about gluten, I had quinoa for dinner...</p>

·
Registered
322 Posts
<p>My daughter had both reflux and allergies (dairy, egg soy and too many others to list) and this sounds more like reflux to me.  From what I learned you will almost always see mucus in their stools at this age with allergies and while she certainly had one odd diaper it didn't sound like what I know to be food sensitivity poop.  Do you have a chiropractor you could consult about the possible reflux?  Does she spit up at all?  If not it could be that she is having what they call silent reflux.  Good luck, I hope you figure it out soon I know how hard it is.</p>

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
<p>So what does food sensitivity poop look like?  Her poop is not yellow and seedy, but more gloopy and olive green.  I suppose I could always take a picture next time... lol  The brick dust was in her pee, a sign of dehydration.  That's the only time I've seen the brick dust, though.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>She used to projectile vomit for a few weeks stretch of time, nothing since (it has probably been over a month since and even when she was vomiting, it was only a handful of times).  SHe occasionally has a small amount of spit-up, not too often, though.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>She has been to the chiropractor a couple times.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Thanks for the ideas.  I actually started a separate thread about this in the breastfeeding challenges forum with more details: <a href="http://www.mothering.com/community/forum/thread/1279291/refusing-to-nurse-weight-loss-and-dehydration-in-3-m-o#post_16046375">http://www.mothering.com/community/forum/thread/1279291/refusing-to-nurse-weight-loss-and-dehydration-in-3-m-o#post_16046375</a></p>

1 - 7 of 7 Posts