Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We finally got to see an OT today for the first time and he started Gabe on a brushing program and gave him a weighted vest. Well we have had only 2 tanturms today and he has been more calm than usual. About 15 minutes ago he went asked me to take the vest off (well in his own way LOL) and went and got in bed and is now asleep. Has anyone had this much change in one day of brushing/joint compression and weighted vest or is this a fluke?<br><br>
I also wanted to say I found OT to be most helpful out of everything we have gone through so far. For the first time someone actually listened to me and my concerns and even went so far as to say it was really a shame that Gabe is being passed around from Doctor to Doctor instead of recieving TX. After a week of tons of tears and frustration I finally feel a bit of hope. Just wanted to share that.<br><br>
But anyway...What is everyone elses experience with how soon you see a change with these types of therapies?

·
Registered
9,290 Posts
I don't have an answer for you as we haven't started any therapies outside of school yet, but it's great if it seems to be working. My fingers are crossed that it continues to work!!

·
Registered
18,562 Posts
That's great! Brush therapy was nothing short of a miracle for Nitara. She completely dropped most of her sensory-related behaviors (bad sleep, freaking out in public, etc) after a couple of weeks of brushing, along with swinging. She just became a completely different baby. I still brush her now and then but I don't need to very much anymore.<br><br>
The only remaining sensory issue is feeding and gagging. That will come with time.

·
Registered
170 Posts
zane hates brushing, but the most reliable way to get him calmed when we are out is to do joint compression. it is amazing. we even have a weighted jacket if we need it. the joint compression is a life saver, so is lotion. and i have no idea why. we use an unscented lotion in the mother's room if we need to, and he will calm down.<br><br>
good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts