Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently gearing up to TTC #2 in the next 6 months or so, nutrition, exercise, detoxing etc.

But I got to thinking about the other side of the equation too...My dh is currently on 4 medications for BP&cholesterol that do give him side effects. He's done so much trial and error and these are the only meds that seem to keep these issues stabilized. I don't think he was on any meds, or maybe just one when we conceived ds1. Now I'm starting to get concerned that these could be a problem either with sperm count or quality, and just the fact that yuck, so many chemicals. I just don't like the idea of all this stuff in his system! None of the pamplets for the meds say anything about male reproductive problems but it still worries me. I don't know if it would be better to temporarily take him off the meds and try and see if we can work on the problem more naturally for awhile (and what would that be because he exercises and eats well already :/ but still has these problems and is overweight) or if that would be more detrimental than beneficial. Maybe I am overreacting and its no biggie at all. But i'd love some advice on some ways to handle the BP/cholesterol without meds if it is possible...even temporarily while we TTC...

Any thoughts?

· Registered
285 Posts
If I were you I would have him talk to his doctor about these concerns. But the thing is that the male has so little to do with making the baby, that probably it's not going to affect anything, but without knowing the exact drugs, it's hard to say.

Definitely talk to someone (his doctor!) before taking him off the meds for TTC purposes. It could actually be worse, if by dropping the drugs it might affect his fertility because of making the BP worse... (I'm not saying that is the case for sure, but it's just something to consider, too)

good luck and HTH!

· Registered
554 Posts
I agree with pp. Stopping meds could affect his blood pressure which definatly change his count. It's hard to say about treating bp/cholesterol w/o meds.... it usually takes a lot of effort and dedication from the person. Even then for some people their genetics are too much to overcome.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.