Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am 40 weeks 4 days. Since I was 36 weeks, I have not dilated or changed at all.

He says external os is 1 1/2-2 but internal os is a "fingertip".

Does that mean my cervix is not "ripe"?

The doctor said not to wear myself out with walking and such because the contractions will not help if my hormones are not ready. So what now? I am facing an induction.

TIA.

·
Registered
7,165 Posts
I wouldn't wear myself out either, nor would I consider inducing just because I wasn't dilating before going into labor (not that I think induction is generally a good idea anyway.)

FWIW, with my first birth I didn't start dilating until 50 hours into labor. (I don't know when I dilated with my others because we didn't check dilation.) Every body is different, and state of cervix at no point indicates the ability of your body to eventually birth naturally and normally.

ETA: personally, I wouldn't bother with walking at all, unless it's something that makes you feel good. Get the oxytocin flowing, do things that make you feel good. Including orgasm.

·
Registered
5,442 Posts
He's right that contractions won't help if the cervix isn't ready... that INCLUDES induction.

Walk as much as you're comfortable doing. Sure, don't "wear yourself out," but sitting around on your butt definitely isn't going to get baby here any sooner ;-).

I had an induced labor, and it SUCKS. My advice is, don't do it unless it's really obvious that something's going terribly wrong (like pre-e for example). (I also had a c-section... I read on here somewhere that about half of induced labors end in surgery, dunno how reliable that statistic is, but I'd believe it.)

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
With DD I didn't dilate or efface until I was into full labor with her. I had gone in the morning of because I kept having contractions, but they weren't going anywhere or doing anything for my cervix, so they were about to send me home, but decided to check me beforehand. I was at 4cm between 7AM and 10AM and started at 0, so I wouldn't worry about it too terribly honestly.

·
Registered
8,900 Posts
"Stuck?" No, I'd say not. You've definitely got time to dilate, etc., and it doesn't have to happen before you're in labor. The PP has a perfect point, too - induction when you're not ready is no good at all. (And if you're ready, why induce?
)

If you're worried about ripening your cervix you can take Evening Primrose Oil, which can stimulate prostaglandin production to soften the cervix. The one-two punch of DTD gets you both prostaglandin AND oxytocin, though, so that's highly recommended to help things along.

You'll be holding your little one soon!!

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies. We went back to see the OB and he clarified his position on induction, which to me, seems actually quite fair. He basically said if I want to wait it out that is OK with him. Then he checked me and I had dilated to 2.5! Yeah!

I have been having a lot of "show" and ctx. I think I breathed a big sigh of relief knowing there would not be a struggle between us and him. Now I am relaxing and hoping to be holding my babe soon.

Thanks again for the support Mammas! You're the best!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.