Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am TRYING to not get too excited, but I was checking for the heartbeat the other night (I bought a doppler this pregnancy) and found it right away, 156 bpm. It's been consistantly 174 bpm every other time I've checked, so I was a little worried and I moved the doppler and went to find it again & it was 156 still. I moved it and tried again and it was 174. I moved it and tried again and it was 156, and again & it was 174. OMG could there be TWO in there?!?!?!?! I haver absolutely NO family history of twins and I am trying to not get my hopes up here, but that's just not happening, lol.<br><br>
FWIW, I was counting the beats, not using the readout since the readout has not been very accurate. I was 9w 4d when this happened. I have since checked a few times and only been able to hear the usual 174 bpm. IDK what to think! I am very sure of what I heard that day, it was definitely a noticeable difference. Would that happen for any reason in a singleton pregnancy? If it was an echo or the placenta would it be a different rate? They were about in the same spot every time I checked, IDK if that makes a difference.<br><br>
I do have an appointment with my m/w tomorrow morning, just a routine 1st visit. I will mention it and see what she says, but in the meantime what do you think??!

·
Registered
453 Posts
If the read out has not been accurate, I suppose the doppler might have accuracy issues. Maybe it was a different reading at different spots because it is inaccurate, is what I am saying. But.... you never know!

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
i'm not really sure what woudl cause that , but i've heard of it happening - a lot, with just the explanation that the baby's HB is not that regular yet.. i am only having one baby, and could hear what even my midwife thought was a placenta-sound in two very different places at 10-12ish weeks, yet i showed no other signs of having 2 in there so she was not concerned.. yet there was only one on the u/s so we must have been hearing something else, things echo in there i guess.. your midwife should be able to tell if you are measuring larger or anything else like that..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Aww bummer. Kim, the doppler hasn't been unreliable, just the readout, the heartbeat just isn't strong/loud enough for it to count it right yet. Oh well, it was fun playing with the idea.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts