Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
11,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so about 6 weeks ago I was treated for a bad bladder infection that was causing contractions and other pre-term labor concerns.
Starting about 10 days ago, I had some symptoms back. Urgent need to urinate--but sometimes I'd sit on the toilet and nothing would even come out. Frequent need to urinate, if I have a big glass of water, I will pee every 10 minutes for about an hour--only a tiny bit each time, but truley, every 10 minutes. The urgent need to pee is worse when I'm laying down (yes, sleeping has been ever so fun)
So I have chem strips at home (the sticks they use to dip a urine sample) In my experiece with dogs (yes I know they are different than people) if no white blood cells show up on the strip, the chances of anything growing in a culture are slim to nil. I have had small amounts of blood showing up for 10 days but no white cells. I did talk to my OB about it on Tuesday and she agreed that if the strip is negative, most likely a urinanalysis at the lab would be too. She felt the blood and irratation was more than likely due to the fact that baby is footling breech and she quite enjoys dancing around on my bladder (and the pain and urgency are there mainly when she is active) She said we could run one to be safe, but then we got talking about something else and never came back to it--I wasn't that worried since the chem strips were negative for bacteria.
Fast forward to tonight. I've been feeling especially yucky the last 2 days, but blamed it on the weather and the fact that Christmas is coming up fast and furious and I'm not prepared. Tonight though my back hurts so bad, it's not the spine, it's just under my right ribcage but extends out to my side. I thought it was muscle and asked dh to rub it--I thought I'd pass out from the pain when he pressed on my back! This is not muscle pain!
I just ran another chem strip and while it still shows no bacteria it showed the highest possible reading of blood. Is it possible to have a kidney infection without a bladder infection??
Any ideas??? Should I be heading into my doctor in the morning (we're getting 10 inches of snow now with freezing rain starting in the morning
: )
I'd appreciate your opinions

· Registered
3,011 Posts
It *is* possible - I don't think I was spilling leucocytes in my urine when I had my kidney infection, but I sure as heck felt like CRAP, and my back hurt like crazy, just like you describe.
My midwife prescribed nettles tea, garlic capsules, and cranberry concentrate capsules along with my antibiotic prescription.

· Registered
1,857 Posts
I would place a call to my care provider and ask for her opinion. Honestly, it would worry me to have back pain and blood in my urine...maybe I am easily worried

I hope you feel better soon though...keep us posted

· Registered
6,533 Posts
I had little white cells in my urine, but lots of blood and my nitrites were bright pink. I also had a back ache....and a fever.

I took antibiotics. And a dip stick is not even close to a microscopic analysis. you'd be surprised what comes back on those, even when the original dip and UA is basically negative.

Why she wont send your urine surprises me.

· Registered
11,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
She was more than willing to send the urine (and at that point I had no back pain at all) we just got off that topic and then I forgot about it and left. At the time it made sense that baby tap dancing on my bladder could cause small amounts of blood and certainly cause urgency to urinate so it really didn't seem all that important KWIM??
I'll give her a call first thing in the morning though and find a way to wade through the snow and ice to get her some pee

I was just reading further and it also could be a kidney stone it would appear--which would certainly make more sense with the lack of white cells--it would also mean the urgency is because of baby (darn--I was so hoping that part was curable!!!)

· Registered
5,511 Posts
not all bacteria that infects the urinary tract will produce nitrates, but will usually produce white cells- weirdly so will eating certain foods. The blood- does it sting when you urinate? because it could be some trauma to your bladder or urethra and/or could be a fairly silent kidney stone- did they do a culture 10 days ago? I would want to do another UA just to rule out infection- because it is simple and takes the guessing out of it, and the one nagging symptom not urinating when you have urge. Try to do a couple kegels and see if urine won't come out also half stand and lean forward and see if that will empty your bladder.
So I know you are asking for info not treatment but because of the blood/irritation I am a bit hesitant to recommend an astringent like cranberry or blueberry but will say as much as you are uncomfortable peeing the simplest solution is dilution be it stone or infection - drink 1/2 gallon to one gallon of water/day, I know all you will be doing is sitting on the toilet, but it should improve things too. cut out simple sugars and don't drink sodas, or coffee or caffeinated tea green or black( which are bladder irritants) you could also try a urinary soother like mallow or corn silk as decoctions or tea they bring down swelling and reduce inflammation, and can be used while you are on abx they don't interfere.
take care

· Registered
11,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, just got back from the hospital, it is a stone (or stones) When they strained my urine it was full of gravel. My OB is a little concerned with the amount of blood because I'm on heparin so they hooked up an IV and ran in 2 litres adn I go back tomorrow morning for a renal ultrasound and another 2 litres of fluids (ok, so they technically sort of wanted to admit me but she didn't push it since it's Christmas and all--she said as long as I dont' mind the mega dilution all at once and that I'm willing to keep it up just drinking constantly-I could stay home provided the bleeding doesn't get worse)
So thanks everyone for your answers, it is nice being able to call and say, "I'm pretty sure I have this or this.." and be right

Off to pee again....

· Registered
1,857 Posts
shannon,
sorry to here that you likely have a kidney stone...my SIL had one last summer and said it was much more uncomfortable than any of her three (natural) births
I hope you are feeling better soon.

Looks like you may be spending Christmas
Nevertheless, drink, drink, drink that water.

· Registered
11,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Lol Ligmom, I didn't mention it here but on my due date thread--we are having a planned c-section--for a large number of reasons, my OB knows I'm a little disapointed and while we were talking this afternoon she said "look at it this way--with the pain of passing a stone--you've gone through natural childbirth" so dh and I decided we'd save the stone and name him

hmmm, this could be the shot of demerol talking...

· Registered
5,511 Posts
I have had stones and babies and I would rather have babies. Stones are so much more painful the pain can be unrelenting. I didn't see your birth date post but the breech and the heparin are hints as to some complexity.
take care, and have a good holiday

· Registered
11,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, went in this morning for a renal U/S and it appears I have 3 more stones to go, but they're pretty sure I've already passed one. All are small enough that they should pass on their own (Whew) They ran in another 2 litres of fluids and I've been told to always have a glass of water or juice in my hand.
Oh and Molly's big day will be Jan 26 (provided other factors don't cause her to arrive early)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.