Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a small lump on my stomach which hasn't been there before. It's quite pale in color and is raised.<br><br>
However, my stomach is definately never an area that has had any sun exposure, so I'm thinking it can't be...right?<br><br>
I've looked up some pictures on google images of early stage skin cancer lumps, and most of them look red/sore or are black/dark. But I might not have found all of the types...so can a raised pale color lump be it?

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
I had melanoma last year and I'll share my experiences but, the first thing I will tell you is what my dermatologist and oncologist say all the time - anything new that doesn't go away within 2 weeks, anything that you've had but is changing or growing or anything that concerns you - get it checked. Listen to your gut. If it doesn't feel right, get it checked.<br><br>
That being said, mine was on my arm and it was a small pink spot. It was raised but, I truly thought it was nothing more than a plugged hair folicle. It was only a shade or two pinker than my skin. And it developed a tiny head on it. But, it didn't go away.<br><br>
So after about 2 months, I was due for my regular mole check and I just casually mentioned it to the Dr. He was certain it wasn't anything but, because he was doing another biopsy on my back anyway, and because I persisted in telling him this was new and didn't go away after 2 weeks, he went ahead and did my arm and it came back melanoma.<br><br>
Mine did not fit the typical melanoma at all. My wasn't dark, it wasn't growing, it wasn't asymetrical, it was uniform in color etc.... Truly, it was nothing more than a pink little bump the size of an eraser head. But.....It was new and it didn't go away within 2 weeks.<br><br>
Also, I'm very fair, with very fair freckles/moles and was never a sun worshiper.<br><br>
So, this is my long winded way of saying that even if it doesn't fit the traditional criteria for skin cancer, if it doesn't go away within 2 weeks - get it checked.<br><br>
The one and only nice thing about skin cancer is that it's on the outside, you can see it so it's easier to spot at early stages. So, don't panic but, if it doesn't go away, get it checked.<br><br>
Also, some doctors will see something that doesn't fit the typical criteria for skin cancer and brush it off. Mine almost did but, I was insistant so he biopsied. Thank God I insisted. If you want it biopsied - insist that they do.<br><br>
Also, if you do get it biopsied, don't let them shave it - do an excisional biopsy. My doctor and oncologist both insist that I never have a shave biopsy again (the one on my arm was shaved). They say there is a school of thought that shaving off a portion of a malignant tumor can cause cells to go astray or activate the cancer. It also makes it very hard to stage the cancer. So, excisional biopsies only.<br><br>
Prayers for you - don't panic but be proactive.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts